Welcome

This blog is about a new walk with my husband Rick & I since he was diagnosed with ALS (Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis) or Lou Gehrig's Disease or MND (Motor Neuron Disease) on February 1, 2008.

This blog was started as a way to keep our family and friends and anyone else interested in our battle with ALS updated.
So as you read this blog please keep us in your hearts and prayers.

The blog starts from the most current to the oldest entry. Rick has started to blog now also as of April 1,2008 so this site has become officially "our blog".

My dearest husband Rick passed away on August 13, 2010,
2 1/2 yrs after diagnosis. Now I have to learn how to walk in the courage, strength and bravery that he did in fighting this disease. He promised me he would be waiting for me in eternity on a park bench. Together Forever!

Thursday, November 6, 2008

Rick here...Okay okay I got it--- blog more :) I heard what you have been telling me!!!

I finally met with my new doctor here in Whitemouth today. He is a great guy-a really straight shooter which is what you need when you have ALS. You don't have a lot of time to screw around! The rate of progression of this thing isn't slowing down one bit! It is a steady and it seems quickening slide downhill. We spent time going over advanced health care directives, end of life issues, do not resuscitate (DNR) orders and etc. Pretty sobering stuff! It still seems so unreal! I don't think you ever get your head around this thing.

The message is clear though...time is of the essence! As I've said before...nothing clarifies your mind like knowing that you will be shot at dawn :)
It is funny...things that used to be important don't matter much anymore - and things I used to take for granted are now VERY important!
When you think of it, all of our days are numbered - it is just in my situation that I have a little more accurate time line to work with than most:)