Welcome

This blog is about a new walk with my husband Rick & I since he was diagnosed with ALS (Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis) or Lou Gehrig's Disease or MND (Motor Neuron Disease) on February 1, 2008.

This blog was started as a way to keep our family and friends and anyone else interested in our battle with ALS updated.
So as you read this blog please keep us in your hearts and prayers.

The blog starts from the most current to the oldest entry. Rick has started to blog now also as of April 1,2008 so this site has become officially "our blog".

My dearest husband Rick passed away on August 13, 2010,
2 1/2 yrs after diagnosis. Now I have to learn how to walk in the courage, strength and bravery that he did in fighting this disease. He promised me he would be waiting for me in eternity on a park bench. Together Forever!

Saturday, January 14, 2012

Joan here..."Jan 16 th Check out CJNU 107.9 FM Winnipeg"

This month the ALS Society of MB is the major sponsor on the CJNU 107.9 FM Winnipeg Radio Station. They play 40's, 50's and 60's music. CJNU 107.9 FM Winnipeg is a non profit radio station. Nick Drobot aka Elvis sang a couple of songs Friday at 1:00 pm the 13th of January.

It was amazing that it was on the 13th. It is 17 months to the day that Rick has passed. Here I was sitting by the computer with Rick's dad and mom and listening to Nick sing and speak. I knew Rick would be so proud and grateful for what Nick was doing in his memory!

If you get a chance listen to the radio on CJNU 107.9 FM Radio Winnipeg Monday 9:00am. I will be speaking for a few minutes in regards to the ALS Society of MB.

If you live outside of Winnipeg or anywhere else in the world you can get it on computer by clicking on the link then clicking on a media format that works on your computer. http://www.cjnu.ca/feeds.shtml If you live in MB and have MTS TV it is on channel 725.

I pretty much have stayed away from being involved as my emotions are still very raw. I know in time I will totally immerse myself to help promote awareness and support when it comes to ALS. I just needed some time to work through my own pain. I have heard too many horror stories about people jumping right into things when a loved one passes. They bury themselves in doing and keeping busy and then all of a sudden down the road it all crashes down on them.

I have been told and I keep telling myself it is okay to take time off to grieve for however long I need. I remember years ago a woman I knew lost her husband in an tragic car accident in her 50's. When she was in her 70's it all came to a head. She became so depressed. It wasn't until she allowed herself to grieve that she came out of that depression. She also started to talk and talk about the life they had had together. I never forgot her and what had happened to her.

Rick and I hosted so many parties and gatherings over the years. We would go all out with the food and decorating and on and on. Since he has passed I have just stayed away from it all. There is no joy in any of that for me right now. So anything that I do these days I look at it as a step forward no matter how small the step.