Welcome

This blog is about a new walk with my husband Rick & I since he was diagnosed with ALS (Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis) or Lou Gehrig's Disease or MND (Motor Neuron Disease) on February 1, 2008.

This blog was started as a way to keep our family and friends and anyone else interested in our battle with ALS updated.
So as you read this blog please keep us in your hearts and prayers.

The blog starts from the most current to the oldest entry. Rick has started to blog now also as of April 1,2008 so this site has become officially "our blog".

My dearest husband Rick passed away on August 13, 2010,
2 1/2 yrs after diagnosis. Now I have to learn how to walk in the courage, strength and bravery that he did in fighting this disease. He promised me he would be waiting for me in eternity on a park bench. Together Forever!

Thursday, July 31, 2008

Joan here....ALS brings a new meaning to Belly Dancing!

We are enjoying each and every day going out for an evening walk together! The summer is going by so very fast! While we had our morning coffee we noticed that Rick's stomach is fasciculating unbelievably. I teased him that he brought a new meaning to belly dancing!

Tonight, my youngest sister walked with us to the Forks. We took turns pushing Rick as it is quite a hike from our place. There were two guys walking ahead of us playing musical instruments as we wound our way along the river. One was playing the mandolin and the other one the flute. They played Irish music the whole way as we walked behind them. It was so wonderful to hear them play as we walked. It was like a special gift to us.

My father passed away 17 years ago and so Rick never did get a chance to meet him. What is so strange is that Rick has had three dreams now where my dad comes and talks to him about things. When Rick describes to me what my dad says to him it is so incredible because that is exactly how my dad would have talked and expressed himself.

His foot cramping is getting worse and his fingers in his left hand are not working properly. It is just more reminders of where this thing is headed. It makes us even more determined to enjoy each moment we have together. We are so thankful for the friendship and care that people have extended to Rick. These people really have given him perspective on so many things that he is dealing with.

I am very proud of my husband and how he chooses to get through each day with such faith and courage despite what each inch of his body is screaming out to him.