Welcome

This blog is about a new walk with my husband Rick & I since he was diagnosed with ALS (Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis) or Lou Gehrig's Disease or MND (Motor Neuron Disease) on February 1, 2008.

This blog was started as a way to keep our family and friends and anyone else interested in our battle with ALS updated.
So as you read this blog please keep us in your hearts and prayers.

The blog starts from the most current to the oldest entry. Rick has started to blog now also as of April 1,2008 so this site has become officially "our blog".

My dearest husband Rick passed away on August 13, 2010,
2 1/2 yrs after diagnosis. Now I have to learn how to walk in the courage, strength and bravery that he did in fighting this disease. He promised me he would be waiting for me in eternity on a park bench. Together Forever!

Monday, July 7, 2008

Rick here...The last dance?

Besides the bad dreams...Each day is a challenge! On a different note...

Just a couple of seconds ago we had a loud knock on our door..."Security here!" We were in shock! What is going on??? here when we came in tonight with our groceries, wheelchair, etc. we left the keys in the door! Joan actually has the habit of putting the keys in the door and wheeling me in. It is easy to miss pulling the keys out after she has me in the apartment. One of the trusty security guards on our building noticed it on his rounds! All three of us had a good laugh!

Back to the challenges...had a great time at Josh and Nikki's wedding! What a fun night! For me though, it was quite bitter sweet. The sound man was great! Perfect music! Great location! lots of fun!!! and I can't dance with my sweetheart! :( Normally, Joan and I open the dance floor and close it at the end of the night! Sadly, no longer!!!

Thanks Naomi, for your gracious 30 second dance with your uncle! You were very kind to ask me. I was so honoured!

At the end of the night, I asked Joan for a slow, slow, slow, dance (you need to have ALS to know what slow dancing really means). We danced (not long), we kissed, we cried!!! My God...a few short months ago I could have never imagined this happening. Joan and I closed down the dance at the German Club with her folks last fall...danced for hours! Joan and I love dancing together!!!

Each day what I am dealing with becomes more real in an unbelieving way! Almost each and every day seems to bring with it a subtle loss of ability of some kind. Nothing seems to happen fast, yet each day is slightly harder.

Today, while trying to get some stuff picked up for our suite, we discovered the wonderful services of scooters at our local Canadian Tire, Rona, and Home Depot! We never realized that they even had such services. Now I can not shop with out them unless Joan pushes me in my chair throughout the store. No fun for either of us! We are so thankful for businesses who have agreed to provide such a service!!!

If they have a comment card...hey take a few minutes for me and people like me and let them know that it is much appreciated!!!