Welcome

This blog is about a new walk with my husband Rick & I since he was diagnosed with ALS (Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis) or Lou Gehrig's Disease or MND (Motor Neuron Disease) on February 1, 2008.

This blog was started as a way to keep our family and friends and anyone else interested in our battle with ALS updated.
So as you read this blog please keep us in your hearts and prayers.

The blog starts from the most current to the oldest entry. Rick has started to blog now also as of April 1,2008 so this site has become officially "our blog".

My dearest husband Rick passed away on August 13, 2010,
2 1/2 yrs after diagnosis. Now I have to learn how to walk in the courage, strength and bravery that he did in fighting this disease. He promised me he would be waiting for me in eternity on a park bench. Together Forever!

Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Joan here...A ray of sunshine flutters into our day!

We have been busy re arranging all our "stuff". Takes forever to go through and decide what we will be needing in our new place. Jake and Val and family have pretty much exhausted themselves trying to get the suite done in time for us to move in at the end of the month.

Rick and I have been struggling with all the changes he is experiencing! I live just a second away from crying at any given time. I came down with shingles just recently...hmm...stress anyone???

Rick still insists on bringing me my cup of coffee each morning so we can sit in bed and talk and talk and talk. That has been our thing for years! Only now, I watch him struggle to pull himself out of bed and try and walk to get to the coffee pot. I end up crying each morning as I lay in bed and watch him go through the process just to bring me a cup of coffee. The realization of how he struggles just to do that and what yet lies ahead is heart wrenching.

Amidst all of the sadness and tears....a ray of sunshine flutters into our day! Our little grand daughter Katie announced to her grandpa Rick and I that she was giving him all her "tooth fairy" money she had received from loosing her first tooth. She was giving it to him so he could give it to the ALS so they could find a cure for him!!!! She had her money in hand and ready to give it all away!!! We were so amazed by her love and care for her grandpa!