Welcome

This blog is about a new walk with my husband Rick & I since he was diagnosed with ALS (Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis) or Lou Gehrig's Disease or MND (Motor Neuron Disease) on February 1, 2008.

This blog was started as a way to keep our family and friends and anyone else interested in our battle with ALS updated.
So as you read this blog please keep us in your hearts and prayers.

The blog starts from the most current to the oldest entry. Rick has started to blog now also as of April 1,2008 so this site has become officially "our blog".

My dearest husband Rick passed away on August 13, 2010,
2 1/2 yrs after diagnosis. Now I have to learn how to walk in the courage, strength and bravery that he did in fighting this disease. He promised me he would be waiting for me in eternity on a park bench. Together Forever!

Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Rick here- finally

well...I'm baaccckkkk! Kind of!
Been a VERY tough few weeks and I have avoided blogging as it has been pretty grim in terms of trying to put anything down in a meaningful way. For a variety of reasons. I have made notes tho so may be putting a lot of stuff up now to catch up. I determined when I started this to be honest but I find that the honesty I feel that would most help people is set against my predisposition to put a positive spin on things. It creates quite a conflict. I always coped in life by sucking it up, working harder, going faster, doing whatever it took to make it work, sacrificing, etc. Sadly, with ALS, that approach does NOT work. Sooooo..here we go...

I have learned what anticipatory grief is...not pleasant at all....and I am insufferably positive so I can hardly imagine what a person more naturally given to sour thoughts goes thru!!

I am learning the art of receiving as opposed to giving - even very basic things.. Damn humbling to say the least! It is pretty hard to get used to kind little old ladies opening doors for you and your 5 year old grand kid lifting the box cause you can't....agggghhhhhhh! And these are the 'good old days' No one has to wipe my bottom yet but that is in the too near future. Good grief! This is a wicked disease!

Every moment of every day I look the tiger in the eye! The only few moments I can feel normal are in the night if I waken, don't move a muscle (cause if I do I cramp up) am snuggled to my sweetheart Joan and hold her. For a minute or two I can pretend that all is well and that I am not ill. The second I move, shift my weight or wiggle then it is right there again. I can't stand, move, raise a hand or turn over without fighting it. The weakness is pervasive - affecting every movement. The swallowing and choking issues have started as well....mild for now...but there none the less.
Anyhow...this is a start...more later.