Welcome

This blog is about a new walk with my husband Rick & I since he was diagnosed with ALS (Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis) or Lou Gehrig's Disease or MND (Motor Neuron Disease) on February 1, 2008.

This blog was started as a way to keep our family and friends and anyone else interested in our battle with ALS updated.
So as you read this blog please keep us in your hearts and prayers.

The blog starts from the most current to the oldest entry. Rick has started to blog now also as of April 1,2008 so this site has become officially "our blog".

My dearest husband Rick passed away on August 13, 2010,
2 1/2 yrs after diagnosis. Now I have to learn how to walk in the courage, strength and bravery that he did in fighting this disease. He promised me he would be waiting for me in eternity on a park bench. Together Forever!

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Joan here....We're offically here!

Congratulations to Rick's mom who just turned 80 years old!

It is almost exactly a week since I last posted. Since that last post. My sisters, brother in laws and mom came and helped us move out of the apartment. It has been a long week of trying to move boxes around and trying to find a spot for "the stuff". I still have a mountain of boxes piled in the garage that have to be gone through. My body is so sore from lifting! I haven't lifted so much in my life before. It is so strange to have Rick with me but unable to help with anything. I have been busy with the move and also in taking care of my husband. He needs help to get things etc so by the time night rolls around I am pretty tired! It is so discouraging for him also. So we both have been adjusting! We have to keep reminding ourselves that we are on the same team and we are not the enemy here it is the disease!

I found myself so exhausted and at one point when I walked past the wheelchair I just kicked it! Of course Rick wasn't around when I did that! I was just so frustrated at times! I am thankful that we have such an aid of course to make a way for Rick to get around the suite but I don't like what it reminds me of.

I haven't had too much time to think of the actual move right now because of just being plain old tired!

Our friend Dave spent three days here with us getting some things done in the suite. We were so happy to see him again!

Rick is having a very hard time this past week not being able to do things to help with the move. I woke him up again this morning as he was having really bad dreams again. This time he was laying in a hospital bed and the bed was laying on quick sand and slowly sucking him in. We both agreed that we still are in denial and don't even want to think about what is happening. It is just too painful!

On the bright side of things...Rick took his scooter up to the grocery store yesterday with little Kate driving! He had all kinds of people waving and stopping to talk to them. People know who we are but we don't always know who they are yet. Small towns are so much different than city life. You can run but you can't hide! :)

We are the proud owner of a 1980's van with an electric chair lift. It is so huge! I call it "the beast" or "the bus". Depending on the mood I am in. I will probably have to take special driving lessons to drive it. You will know what I mean if you ever read the first time out with Rick and his wheelchair. I feel sorry for my husband...he is such a patient man! I thank God for that!