Welcome

This blog is about a new walk with my husband Rick & I since he was diagnosed with ALS (Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis) or Lou Gehrig's Disease or MND (Motor Neuron Disease) on February 1, 2008.

This blog was started as a way to keep our family and friends and anyone else interested in our battle with ALS updated.
So as you read this blog please keep us in your hearts and prayers.

The blog starts from the most current to the oldest entry. Rick has started to blog now also as of April 1,2008 so this site has become officially "our blog".

My dearest husband Rick passed away on August 13, 2010,
2 1/2 yrs after diagnosis. Now I have to learn how to walk in the courage, strength and bravery that he did in fighting this disease. He promised me he would be waiting for me in eternity on a park bench. Together Forever!

Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Joan here...I have been Hoyered!


The Hoyer lift has arrived. Rick and I figured we would post a pic of the lift as most of us don't even know what it is. (Thankfully!)

The Hoyer is a portable (kind of) hydraulic lift that allows someone to be picked up in a fabric sling and lifted up from a wheel chair, bed, or worst case scenario...the floor! Rick says it is kind of like an engine hoist.

Today I was trained to use it. Hmmmm...another piece of equipment that I have had to learn about!!! The best way to understand how it works is to be lifted in it. I was hoyered!!!! As I sat in the sling I started to cry. This is all so very hard. Thanks Diane and Louise for all your help, patience and compassion!

When the lift was delivered...I did my usual kick the thing once. Then looked up to heaven and thanked God for the technology that is in place to make our life easier on the day to day basis.

The MB Health Care System may have its own share of problems but they have been an incredible blessing to us. We don't know what we would have done without the equipment that they have also made available along with the ALS Society.

Rick has progressed to the point now where he is finding it very very difficult to pull himself up and get out of bed. The transferring from bed to chair, chair to shower chair, commode, and etc. is becomming increasingly more difficult for him. Hence the need for the Hoyer Lift!

Much to our frustration and sadness, the next item down the road shortly will be the hospital bed. We just have to say the word and one will be here in a couple of weeks. You can only imagine how we feel about that one! :( Especially as we are such notorious snugglers!!! The hospital beds don't come in double sizes!!!

Today, our thoughts are especially with Uncle Keith and family. It was Aunt Christine's funeral today.