Welcome

This blog is about a new walk with my husband Rick & I since he was diagnosed with ALS (Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis) or Lou Gehrig's Disease or MND (Motor Neuron Disease) on February 1, 2008.

This blog was started as a way to keep our family and friends and anyone else interested in our battle with ALS updated.
So as you read this blog please keep us in your hearts and prayers.

The blog starts from the most current to the oldest entry. Rick has started to blog now also as of April 1,2008 so this site has become officially "our blog".

My dearest husband Rick passed away on August 13, 2010,
2 1/2 yrs after diagnosis. Now I have to learn how to walk in the courage, strength and bravery that he did in fighting this disease. He promised me he would be waiting for me in eternity on a park bench. Together Forever!

Thursday, February 12, 2009

Presents for the present...

Well...I had another breakdown today. I was sitting in my shower wheelchair having a shower and just lost it :(

Joan came around the corner to help dry me and get me up only to find me in a puddle of tears. I pulled it together-she got me transferred to my other wheelchair and I pulled up to the sink to shave and brush my teeth - took one look at myself in the mirror and lost it again! Wow.

My sweetheart put her arms around me and said ' We're in this together dear!" She then said 'lets today just concentrate on the presents we have today - you can still get on the toilet, you can shave yourself, your hands are still working, you can still tell me you love me'
I can't 'uncatch' ALS, but she reminded me that the future is still ahead and that we can enjoy the present - I guess that is why they call right now ' the present' - it is full of lots of presents we can enjoy right now! I am married to a very wise woman! Thanks sweetheart!

I think one of the most difficult things to deal with as you battle ALS is the push me - pull you that happens to you and your loved ones mentally and emotionally as you lose abilities. You are always mourning the loss of something, yet if you dwell too much on it you lose the gift of what you can still do today that you may not be able to do next week. This is one hell of a nasty disease!

So on that note - it is wing night at the Whitemouth Hotel so we are going to crank up 'the beast' and skate uptown for hot wings and beer. Another thing to be thankful for - the pub is wheelchair accessible:)