Welcome

This blog is about a new walk with my husband Rick & I since he was diagnosed with ALS (Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis) or Lou Gehrig's Disease or MND (Motor Neuron Disease) on February 1, 2008.

This blog was started as a way to keep our family and friends and anyone else interested in our battle with ALS updated.
So as you read this blog please keep us in your hearts and prayers.

The blog starts from the most current to the oldest entry. Rick has started to blog now also as of April 1,2008 so this site has become officially "our blog".

My dearest husband Rick passed away on August 13, 2010,
2 1/2 yrs after diagnosis. Now I have to learn how to walk in the courage, strength and bravery that he did in fighting this disease. He promised me he would be waiting for me in eternity on a park bench. Together Forever!

Thursday, December 24, 2009

Rick and Joan here..."Merry Christmas!"


This past week has been a very focused week on me getting on a bowel routine. We did it! Thanks to all the meds, advice of the professionals! :)

As we eat our traditional foods this evening, we realized how things have changed from last year. This year I could no longer stand and I can no longer feed myself, I can no longer hold my wine glass up to make the traditional toast or wrap my arms around my wife.

BUT...I can still talk, I can still eat and drink even though with help, and I can certainly be thankful for the blessings that are mine! Joan and I have just had to rethink how we do things...in fact how we do everything here! But we are doing!!!!......

This is a pic of me toasting my sweetheart! I am married to the most compassionate, caring and selfless woman in the world! I can't believe how she handles the stress and outright hard physical labour that looking after me entails. She is my angel! Christmas has always been a very special time for us. And this one even more so!

We want to wish all of you, near and far, a very Merry Christmas and pray "that the peace that passes all understanding" would be yours this Christmas season and New Year!