Welcome

This blog is about a new walk with my husband Rick & I since he was diagnosed with ALS (Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis) or Lou Gehrig's Disease or MND (Motor Neuron Disease) on February 1, 2008.

This blog was started as a way to keep our family and friends and anyone else interested in our battle with ALS updated.
So as you read this blog please keep us in your hearts and prayers.

The blog starts from the most current to the oldest entry. Rick has started to blog now also as of April 1,2008 so this site has become officially "our blog".

My dearest husband Rick passed away on August 13, 2010,
2 1/2 yrs after diagnosis. Now I have to learn how to walk in the courage, strength and bravery that he did in fighting this disease. He promised me he would be waiting for me in eternity on a park bench. Together Forever!

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Rick here..."I am on the road again!"

The snow is gone (mostly) and I am finally able to get back outside again! It has been a looooooooooong winter!

Joan and I have been out for a few runs and I am learning the ins and outs of my sip and puff steering system. It is not as accurate as the old hand control but beats the "h" out of not driving at all!

I have only had one mishap...nearly hit the ditch...there is a setting where I sip three times to get the chair up to top speed then I steer it left or right by either softly sipping or softly puffing depending on which way you want to turn. Note to self---when panicking remember to sip softly not hard as that only make you go faster! Got to try out my emergency stop button and pleased to report it works great!

Please don't let the folks at HSC rehab hear about this one or they may not dial up my speed on my next visit. :) They currently have my top speed set on a slower learning mode-probably to save my life- The only thing is now Joan can walk faster than I can keep up with and is bored with waiting for me to catch up! When my top speed is restored I can leave her in the dust. lol!

Also a note to all my Whitemouth friends...am no longer able to return the friendly waves that I get as the darn arms don't lift anymore! Don't want you to think I am all stuck up or anything!
I can still nod and smile but you will have to slow down to catch it!