Welcome

This blog is about a new walk with my husband Rick & I since he was diagnosed with ALS (Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis) or Lou Gehrig's Disease or MND (Motor Neuron Disease) on February 1, 2008.

This blog was started as a way to keep our family and friends and anyone else interested in our battle with ALS updated.
So as you read this blog please keep us in your hearts and prayers.

The blog starts from the most current to the oldest entry. Rick has started to blog now also as of April 1,2008 so this site has become officially "our blog".

My dearest husband Rick passed away on August 13, 2010,
2 1/2 yrs after diagnosis. Now I have to learn how to walk in the courage, strength and bravery that he did in fighting this disease. He promised me he would be waiting for me in eternity on a park bench. Together Forever!

Sunday, April 11, 2010

Rick and Joan here..."A little update"

My breathing has once again deteriorated this past week. I have been struggling to get my breath more and more. I am using the bipap not only all night long but every couple of hours throughout the day. I go onto it to catch my breath. It is a very strange feeling trying to breath and inhale and yet not be able to draw the air in. My lungs work fine...the problem is as the muscles die it gets harder and harder to pull the air in...my body is using muscles from all kinds of places to try and do the job!

Tomorrow, my chair is going into Wpg. for a couple of days once again. This means I am in bed until it comes back. This time my chair is going to have a mounting platform put onto it and along with a power converter so that my bipap machine will be able to travel with me. Also going to see if I can get my top end speed adjusted up so that when Joan and I go for walks...Joan doesn't leave me in the dust!!! lol

For those of you on the ALS forum I have not been corresponding as I have yet to get my head mouse set up. We have been just busy taking care of my other day to day issues. I hope to be up and at it soon so don't give up on me! :)

I have had a lot of changes in my body once again in the last couple of weeks and so I am needing more care every day!

I had an interesting moment the other day as I laid here helpless...I felt a bug crawling across my hand and it was dark so I couldn't see how big it was or what it was. Based on it's footprints across my hand I figured it was headed up towards my face. I gave a shout and Joan came to my rescue and started to look for the creature. Took awhile but it was found!!!! It was a pretty scary feeling as you imagine it walking up your nose or into your ear and not being able to stop it. Your imagination goes wild! It is a little bit like hearing the grass rustle just outside of your tent at night and you never think it is a mouse...you always think it is a bear! :)

I can see that I will have to develop a whole new level of mental toughness to get through this next bug season. In all honesty it was quite frightening to realize the level of my new helplessness. Last summer I could still move my arms and swat a skitter or smack a spider this year I feel a bit like a potential buffet table for the critters!

Joan and I spent some time in the sun on the deck this afternoon. I sat and sipped a cold one through my straw while offering Joan constructive advice on how to unstring all the Christmas lights on the back deck. I glanced up into the sky and saw the first turkey vulture of the year floating effortlessly across the sky. I kidded Joan that she better not leave me unattended too long on the deck this summer or I may make a meal for somebody! lol