Welcome

This blog is about a new walk with my husband Rick & I since he was diagnosed with ALS (Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis) or Lou Gehrig's Disease or MND (Motor Neuron Disease) on February 1, 2008.

This blog was started as a way to keep our family and friends and anyone else interested in our battle with ALS updated.
So as you read this blog please keep us in your hearts and prayers.

The blog starts from the most current to the oldest entry. Rick has started to blog now also as of April 1,2008 so this site has become officially "our blog".

My dearest husband Rick passed away on August 13, 2010,
2 1/2 yrs after diagnosis. Now I have to learn how to walk in the courage, strength and bravery that he did in fighting this disease. He promised me he would be waiting for me in eternity on a park bench. Together Forever!

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Rick and Joan here..."A Broda Chair???"


What is a Broda chair???? We didn't know either. Actually, it is kind of like a chaise lounge on wheels. It reclines and has an adjustable leg rest on it. The sides have adjustable pads to help hold you upright. As my upper body strength has deteriorated I find myself leaning over to the left all the time. It was getting so uncomfortable as well as taking a lot of energy to try and sit up straight. This chair solves that problem by holding me upright. We will be using this when I am inside as it is not an outdoor chair. My wheelchair is what will keep me being able to cruise outside.

It was a bitter pill to swallow as you can see from the pic I look pretty much like a complete invalid in it, especially when I combine it with the bipap mask and the feeding tube. Hey, wait a minute I am an invalid!!!!! When we got it I asked Joan to give it an extra kick for me and then we thanked God not only for the chair but for the Health Care System we enjoy and all the caring hardworking people in it that makes equipment like this one available to us.

To be honest, as the equipment continues to multiply and as I get more dependent on all of these different apparatuses to keep going it is very tempting to get depressed. Instead, I choose to approach it in a different way. We came upon this phrase on another ALS site and it really sums up the attitude that you need to take to keep fighting this disease. The new equipment is not a sign that I am getting closer to the end, it is a sign that I have new tools to continue the fight.