Welcome

This blog is about a new walk with my husband Rick & I since he was diagnosed with ALS (Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis) or Lou Gehrig's Disease or MND (Motor Neuron Disease) on February 1, 2008.

This blog was started as a way to keep our family and friends and anyone else interested in our battle with ALS updated.
So as you read this blog please keep us in your hearts and prayers.

The blog starts from the most current to the oldest entry. Rick has started to blog now also as of April 1,2008 so this site has become officially "our blog".

My dearest husband Rick passed away on August 13, 2010,
2 1/2 yrs after diagnosis. Now I have to learn how to walk in the courage, strength and bravery that he did in fighting this disease. He promised me he would be waiting for me in eternity on a park bench. Together Forever!

Thursday, July 1, 2010

Joan here..."We are still here...just haven't had internet for a week!"

Sorry to have worried you folks out there. We had quite a week!!!! One evening around 11:00 pm at night the hydro wires from the pole to the house started arcing and caught on fire right at the house connection. You can imagine the flurry. It is right outside the door from our living area. Rick's folks were at our place giving me a break and here they are watching this happening with Rick laying in his hospital bed. My days away have been turning out to be on the disastrous side.

Jake's experience as a fire fighter sure paid off. Within minutes everything was put out. Hydro was off for an hour and a half only due to Rick's condition they made a special trip to fix it all. Gladwin showed up with a generator to get Rick's air mattress hooked up as he had laid there for awhile with no air in it. Very frightening as the hospital bed wouldn't work either . Jake moved Rick's wheelchair with adrenaline power over to where they could hook Rick up for air. Home care and the rest of us learned how to crank in a hurry. So we have spent the week with a lot of things out. Rick is right now gleefully in a hospital bed that is once again electric! Homecare zipped around as fast as they could to get us a replacement bed which we are so incredibly thankful for!!!!

As far as the internet access we are hoping in the next few days the routers will be in and installed. I am using my sister's computer to type this. Rick and I have really felt isolated this past week with no internet etc.

We were so thankful Jake and Val were home to immediately deal with the hydro/fire situation. IF it would have been any later in the evening it could have been too late for everyone in the house...not a pretty thought!

My days off have been quite stressful that is for sure...the fire last Friday....and today when I left in the am I took out two cars with me!!!! Not proud of it...I still can't believe I backed into the homecare worker's car and really damaged it as well as Val's car. I couldn't just hit one of her doors no.....to make matters even worse...I had to back up and smack both the doors!!!! I am really thankful they have forgiving hearts that is for sure. Rick and I always joked as it was always him hitting something and denting the car so for me to do this was a real hit to my driving pride never mind my record! Can you say STRESS anyone???

Besides all this fun, this week has been a week getting Rick's meds full time in place on a different level. That is stressful in itself! He takes alauded for long term relief and 10 min before he eats or dresses or gets moved he gets other meds to get him through. He only has his mask off for minutes at a time even with all the meds. He keeps asking for the bipap after a couple of minutes of being off it. So stress was the key word for this past week that is for sure.

He continues to be in good spirits despite the discomfort of his challenges for the day. So for that we are so thankful and never mind the fact that everyone is safe!!!!