Welcome

This blog is about a new walk with my husband Rick & I since he was diagnosed with ALS (Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis) or Lou Gehrig's Disease or MND (Motor Neuron Disease) on February 1, 2008.

This blog was started as a way to keep our family and friends and anyone else interested in our battle with ALS updated.
So as you read this blog please keep us in your hearts and prayers.

The blog starts from the most current to the oldest entry. Rick has started to blog now also as of April 1,2008 so this site has become officially "our blog".

My dearest husband Rick passed away on August 13, 2010,
2 1/2 yrs after diagnosis. Now I have to learn how to walk in the courage, strength and bravery that he did in fighting this disease. He promised me he would be waiting for me in eternity on a park bench. Together Forever!

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Joan here..."Feb 1 st today, yes...4 years"

Every time a day that has a significant memory attached to it is coming up I can feel a dip in my being. I get sad and I just mope around! I don't even have to look at the calender. It is just there. I start to mourn. When that happens to me I just go to the calender and check the date and yep....it has meaning!

It is 4 years today that my Ricki was diagnosed with ALS. If you read our blog archive about that day you will see how that day changed our life forever. That day we knew it was the worst day of our life but we had now idea what it would be like to walk it out and what would lie ahead for us!

And now here I am 4 years later from that date, on my own with Ricki gone and the worst has come to pass. It is still like a nightmare of sorts! How can one prepare for the road that lays before you when you are diagnosed with a rapidly progressive terminal disease? In plain English...You Can't! It doesn't matter what kind of disease your loved one is diagnosed with, no one can grasp it!

All I can say is that you just learn to walk it day by day...why? you just don't have a choice....when you are so deeply in love all you can think of is how are we going to walk this through together.

Even when you are handed the death sentence you still have hope....hope that you can over come this...maybe, just maybe it will go away...In our case, it did not go away and everything they said about this horrible disease came to pass. Rick lived 6 months beyond what the prognosis was. In this disease that was a miracle!

We cherished every moment we had together. Even if it meant we could just only look at each other and smile and whisper to each other sweet nothings we knew it was an incredible blessing and gift. My dear husband could talk until the end and that is what he believed God for and that is what we had!!! For that he and I were so grateful for!!!!

It is like and incredible dream to me...so numbing....so unbelievable but yet so real as I have to face each day without my beloved!!!!

I will never forget each moment of that day Ricki what we went through together! And yes Ricki, I am so glad that we "liked" each other!!!!

Love you forever my sweetheart!!!