Welcome

This blog is about a new walk with my husband Rick & I since he was diagnosed with ALS (Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis) or Lou Gehrig's Disease or MND (Motor Neuron Disease) on February 1, 2008.

This blog was started as a way to keep our family and friends and anyone else interested in our battle with ALS updated.
So as you read this blog please keep us in your hearts and prayers.

The blog starts from the most current to the oldest entry. Rick has started to blog now also as of April 1,2008 so this site has become officially "our blog".

My dearest husband Rick passed away on August 13, 2010,
2 1/2 yrs after diagnosis. Now I have to learn how to walk in the courage, strength and bravery that he did in fighting this disease. He promised me he would be waiting for me in eternity on a park bench. Together Forever!

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Joan here..." 18 mos later and 2nd Valentine's Day without my Ricki!!!:

This should all be getting easier right???? NOT!!!!!

It is 18 months since my sweetheart has gone and it is so difficult at times to live without Ricki. I miss him so much and I am so lonely at times without him! He was and is and will always be the true love of my life!!! We both knew that!!!

I was just talking to some people today who knew him briefly and they mentioned their memory of him to me and how wonderful and loving he was to me. I love it when we can talk about him freely!!! Their memory of Rick was how they saw us one evening dancing together and how he looked at me and how I looked at him and how they were amazed at what we were like together. When this lady shared that with me I just cried and cried because I remembered that specific evening and I know what we had together. For her to just put it all into words from an outsider's perspective was so incredibly moving!!!! That is her thoughts and memories of Rick and I together! That is exactly what I carry in my heart all the time!

I couldn't write anything on this Valentine's Day or on the 13th as it is still all so painful, Rick and I talked about this time after he would pass and how I would find it all so difficult.....There isn't a day that goes by where I don't talk to him, think of him, and wish he was here. I know that will never change!!!! In the meantime we just learn to survive and carry on. I did dig out of the bag this year's Valentine's Day card from him that he purchased when he was diagnosed!!! That in itself was so heart gripping!!!! I only have till I am 80 years old to have that honour of getting a Valentine's Day Card from him!!!!I just continually thank God for him doing that for me!!!!

I have had recently numerous opportunities in many areas to connect with others but I struggle with the ongoing fact "nothing compares to him". So it is something I have to overcome.

My sweatheart is a prince, was a prince and will always be a prince...think about it...he resides in Heaven!!!! You never get into a relationship with a widow as her spouse dwells in "heaven". :) Rick would get a great kick out of that one!!!!

I have so many questions to ask God about life and death...as we all do especially when we lose a loved one. But I have learned to somehow..not to try and figure that out but to trust God that he knows the beginning to the end and that HE so loves us all!!!!

Recently, a friend lost a son to suicide...I can't even imagine how these wonderful people are dealingwith it! Bottom line....it is not their fault!!! Why is it when someone dies we take it upon ourselves that it is somehow our fault!!!! or that we could have done more. rescued them, or, or, or....just maybe that person was in so much pain that they just couldn't handle it anymore....and for whatever reason they just couldn't burden their loved ones with it....I really understand that now!!!!

Trust God in all things no matter how painful, no matter what our thoughts are in it, no matter how we feel....we DO NOT know the end of all of this!!!!!