Welcome

This blog is about a new walk with my husband Rick & I since he was diagnosed with ALS (Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis) or Lou Gehrig's Disease or MND (Motor Neuron Disease) on February 1, 2008.

This blog was started as a way to keep our family and friends and anyone else interested in our battle with ALS updated.
So as you read this blog please keep us in your hearts and prayers.

The blog starts from the most current to the oldest entry. Rick has started to blog now also as of April 1,2008 so this site has become officially "our blog".

My dearest husband Rick passed away on August 13, 2010,
2 1/2 yrs after diagnosis. Now I have to learn how to walk in the courage, strength and bravery that he did in fighting this disease. He promised me he would be waiting for me in eternity on a park bench. Together Forever!

Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Joan here...Jack fell down but didn't break his crown!

Rick has been falling more frequently lately. He fell outside while walking out to the car on Friday. I was horrified! He wouldn't let me help him up, he kept saying he was okay and he could get up on his own. He slowly maneuvered himself up the side of the door of the car and into the seat as I stood watching, dying by the moment!

The other nite he was getting into bed and plunked his butt on the edge of the bed. Unfortunately, he sat too close to the edge of the bed and slid right onto the floor. Horrified again I ran to help him.

Hmmmm...I found out with him laying on the bedroom floor that I was not too much help. I tried to lift him back on to the bed...well that didn't work! We got him on his knees one at a time and then I lifted each leg up for him. I asked him to tell me what to do. Then he told me to lift him from behind under his arms...well sounds pretty easy right???...hmm...I did just as he instructed but low and behold when I would lift him, it was like I was too short in arm length to get him up to the bed. He would slide down again and again and we would have to start the process all over again.

After the initial shock of it all.....we started laughing and laughing! To the point I could hardly exert any strength in lifting him. It took quite a few tries to finally get him back up on his feet...but we did it! We laid in bed afterwards and reflected at what had just taken place.
In all the sadness of the moment I was just so glad that we could experience the humorous side of it all!