Welcome

This blog is about a new walk with my husband Rick & I since he was diagnosed with ALS (Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis) or Lou Gehrig's Disease or MND (Motor Neuron Disease) on February 1, 2008.

This blog was started as a way to keep our family and friends and anyone else interested in our battle with ALS updated.
So as you read this blog please keep us in your hearts and prayers.

The blog starts from the most current to the oldest entry. Rick has started to blog now also as of April 1,2008 so this site has become officially "our blog".

My dearest husband Rick passed away on August 13, 2010,
2 1/2 yrs after diagnosis. Now I have to learn how to walk in the courage, strength and bravery that he did in fighting this disease. He promised me he would be waiting for me in eternity on a park bench. Together Forever!

Monday, June 8, 2009

Joan here...Disposable Absorbent Briefs??? a DAB

We did our first Winnipeg ALS Walk this weekend. We were so amazed at the amount of people that were there! In order for us to make it there on time we ended up staying at the Brummitt -Feasby House (an ALS hospice house) on Kirby St. in Wpg. It was a very emotional time for us. The staff were absolutely helpful and understanding with us.

I was determined to still take care of Rick on my own so I had to learn how to operate a few pieces of equipment. It was so stressful as here we have our own routine down and there we were like fish out of water!!! I ended up just getting a couple of hours of sleep that night.

We met some other residents who were further along the ALS journey than Rick and that was so hard for both of us. We know that that is what is down the road for him and it is almost unimaginable! It really made us think once again about doing all that we can do while we can!

We had a wonderful surprise today. A gentleman dropped off some money that was raised for the ALS Society by one of the local businesses who held a fund raising car wash. Wow!

I just got finished tucking Rick into bed for the night. It all seems so unreal! I still can't believe that we are at a spot where I put on a disposable absorbent brief (DAB...my own coined word)How's that for not using the word diaper?...Rick hates that word!!! and his pj's for him. My emotions swing from disbelief, sadness to laughing and giggling as I still can't seem to line the DAB right. It is one thing to squiggle a baby around but wow...trying doing that to a 158 pounder!

We have had some interesting looking end results! I even had to resort to using masking tape as I did and undid the tabs so often trying to get everthing just right! Rick says "at least we haven't had to use Duct tape yet!" There was a point in the process where he was beginning to think he may have gangrene by morning as I had it way to tight!!!.

This all makes it easier and safer for Rick not to try and sit up on the edge of the bed in the middle of the night. You could say another big big big bridge has been crossed! I forgot to mention that I was actually on the phone talking while doing this! Talk about multi tasking!!!!