Welcome

This blog is about a new walk with my husband Rick & I since he was diagnosed with ALS (Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis) or Lou Gehrig's Disease or MND (Motor Neuron Disease) on February 1, 2008.

This blog was started as a way to keep our family and friends and anyone else interested in our battle with ALS updated.
So as you read this blog please keep us in your hearts and prayers.

The blog starts from the most current to the oldest entry. Rick has started to blog now also as of April 1,2008 so this site has become officially "our blog".

My dearest husband Rick passed away on August 13, 2010,
2 1/2 yrs after diagnosis. Now I have to learn how to walk in the courage, strength and bravery that he did in fighting this disease. He promised me he would be waiting for me in eternity on a park bench. Together Forever!

Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Rick here - "Well...It all Depends!!"

Well - some things happen you never thought would! This is one of them....
Joan has a good explanation of what ALS stands for - A Lot of Shit!!! On that note...
It has been getting harder and harder for me to get sitting up on the side of the bed at nite to have a whiz into my trusty plastic bottle. That coupled with a very real fear about getting the runs when it takes 10 minutes to get onto the commode chair had me thinking about ....wait for it....adult diapers!!

So, rather than wait to have an accident I figured I better get proactive and face my fears.
I asked Joan to pick some up when she was in the city - her description of shopping for Depends with her crazy,funny sisters makes its own story! Guys...just so you know....women seem to have not nearly so much sympathy for this situation as guys do....a few comments along the line of ' so- that happens to us a week a month since the age of 12' really make it hard to feel quite so sorry for yourself - but I am still trying' :)
Anyhow, she got me some and after looking at them for a couple of days I decided the time had come for the big test!

Joan got me strapped in- literally - I had a few beers to 'prime the pump' as well as for some temporary courage, and waited! Now, the mind is a funny thing. Normally in that situation I would have to go pretty fast - I have a notoriously small bladder, especially where beer is concerned, but it was about 6 in the morning before the inevitable happened.
I awoke and realised- this is it! Sooooo - I gave a bit of a squirt to see what would happen, kind of fearing it would run out the side or God knows what....anyhow, all seemed well so managed another little squirt, still no problems, so I let it rip.
Success!!!! No leakage and no ill effects. I must admit that I shed a few tears though, just because I am so PO'ed that this is happening to me, but at the same time I am so thankful that the technology exists to make this as easy as possible!! It must have been hell only a few years ago to deal with this kind of thing!!
Anyways, another bridge crossed, and I survived!
I hear that cheering guys - thanks! And you ladies can quit laughing! The male ego is a fragile thing as you all know ! :)