Welcome

This blog is about a new walk with my husband Rick & I since he was diagnosed with ALS (Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis) or Lou Gehrig's Disease or MND (Motor Neuron Disease) on February 1, 2008.

This blog was started as a way to keep our family and friends and anyone else interested in our battle with ALS updated.
So as you read this blog please keep us in your hearts and prayers.

The blog starts from the most current to the oldest entry. Rick has started to blog now also as of April 1,2008 so this site has become officially "our blog".

My dearest husband Rick passed away on August 13, 2010,
2 1/2 yrs after diagnosis. Now I have to learn how to walk in the courage, strength and bravery that he did in fighting this disease. He promised me he would be waiting for me in eternity on a park bench. Together Forever!

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Joan here..."It's a New Day"

Yesterday morning Rick and I went over so many of the encouraging and loving emails all of you have been sending to us. I am so delighted that when he wakes up again this morning I will have a bunch to read to him over our morning coffee.

Rick keeps trying to sleep but keeps waking up every hour. He is having flem issues this last couple of days and I can hear him trying to swollow. The meds are there to help him in his fight for breath and his body from pain from all the uncomfortableness. I keep giving him something to sip on as his mouth is always so dry. He is exhausted in his being as he struggles for each breath even though he has his bipap machine on.

I laid in the brodi chair as close as I could next to him through the night but could not sleep more than a wink or two as I kept checking on him. I look over at him and see his utter helplessness and vulnerability and all I can do is cry. He is the love of my life. As Katie wrote in her letter to grandpa "He is the other half of my heart!". I listen to every breath he takes as it is so very precious to me. I hold his hand all night and when he wakes I am there. I promised him he would not be alone that there would always be someone here by his side. These are truly precious days and hours for us together.

This morning as I was laying there with Rick sleeping on one side of me and a big window on the other side I started to watch the sky being filled with the morning light. The whole sky was slowly being filled with the newness of this new day. I was reminded in that second that Today was a new day...God's mercies were new today...His grace is sufficient for today....at that moment Rick opened his eyes and looked over at me and I reminded him of how God's mercy and grace was new for him today. Together we watched the beauty of this new day beginning. We were given today and believe me I was rejoicing and thankful for God's gift to Rick and I of "TODAY".

Now an hour later...the sky is filled with clouds...Rick is fast asleep...but my heart is filled with happiness in that special time we shared this morning in receiving God's gift of one more day together!

Thank you all for your continued prayers and support for Rick and I as we walk through this new day.