Welcome

This blog is about a new walk with my husband Rick & I since he was diagnosed with ALS (Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis) or Lou Gehrig's Disease or MND (Motor Neuron Disease) on February 1, 2008.

This blog was started as a way to keep our family and friends and anyone else interested in our battle with ALS updated.
So as you read this blog please keep us in your hearts and prayers.

The blog starts from the most current to the oldest entry. Rick has started to blog now also as of April 1,2008 so this site has become officially "our blog".

My dearest husband Rick passed away on August 13, 2010,
2 1/2 yrs after diagnosis. Now I have to learn how to walk in the courage, strength and bravery that he did in fighting this disease. He promised me he would be waiting for me in eternity on a park bench. Together Forever!

Monday, August 30, 2010

Joan here..."Tough Day"

Well...what can I say....
Lots of things happening...
My first wedding anniversary without Rick came and went over the weekend without my sweetheart...I kept telling him he better not die on our anniversary. You know Rick he always wanted to please. He didn't. He kept asking all of us when he was on his last days....What day is it?

I spent the entire anniversary day in (Rick's) bed in my pj's. I just reflected on us. I tried to sleep the day away. I rec'd a beautiful arrangement from my sister Kathy and Roger. It meant so much to me that someone remembered our day!

Rick's equipment within the next two days will be absolutely gone from our suite....Both our son in laws...Grant and Roger have offered to help pick it up and bring it back. It was wonderful of them to offer...but where I am at right now...I am over sensitive about everything.

My sister Kathy and myself loaded a van full of equipment 9:30 am this am and started returning things. It poured and it poured! Kind of like an omen...not that Rick would miss this stuff but rather it was like the memories tied to this equipment was being removed from my life! As each piece was loaded I was falling apart inside. I thought I was safe till Friday when I thought the truck was coming for the last of the equipment....which the one piece of equipment I clung to so dearly...his bed. I found this am that I needed to return the KCI mattress so that meant I could no longer sleep on the bed tonight. Well, I went into emotional overload....ended up taking wrong turns on the road and on and on it went today.

I delivered equipment and supplies back to the Pinawa Hospital, ALS Society, HSC Rehab, Respirolist Dept. of the HSC. It was like a trip down memory lane meeting all these people, Cheryl, Susan, Diana, Sharon, Brian, Ed, Mic and Karen who where so incredibly wonderful and helpful to Rick in the past couple of years. I drove the good old "beast" downtown Wpg. with all the courage I could muster up.

My sister Kathy and I just dug in and made it happen. We lifted, pulled and pushed.
We have had the most miserable day imaginable with rain and rain and rain pouring down.

Friends of Rick and I...Brian and Jan made sure I made it home okay with the "Beast". They actually drove from Wpg to Whitemouth and the back again in the torrential rains.

Our suite is almost visibly devoid of anything about Rick. The equipment is gone. I keep reminding myself that the equipment was NOT Rick...just the memories. The room echos with emptiness...I have the large pic of Rick hanging in the suite and a few pics of him and I on the desk.....our favorite wall hangings.... but there isn't a lot visibly left of him......It is almost unbearable at times! When will this nightmare ever stop????