Welcome

This blog is about a new walk with my husband Rick & I since he was diagnosed with ALS (Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis) or Lou Gehrig's Disease or MND (Motor Neuron Disease) on February 1, 2008.

This blog was started as a way to keep our family and friends and anyone else interested in our battle with ALS updated.
So as you read this blog please keep us in your hearts and prayers.

The blog starts from the most current to the oldest entry. Rick has started to blog now also as of April 1,2008 so this site has become officially "our blog".

My dearest husband Rick passed away on August 13, 2010,
2 1/2 yrs after diagnosis. Now I have to learn how to walk in the courage, strength and bravery that he did in fighting this disease. He promised me he would be waiting for me in eternity on a park bench. Together Forever!

Saturday, August 7, 2010

Joan here..."Never say never....it may come back and haunt you!"

How are we doing? Well.........we are doing great between us....but we do have some physical challenges that we are trying to overcome. For the last two days we have been trying to unplug Rick. If this gets a bit too much info please do not read further.

I have given Rick two enemas a day for the past two days...nothing is happening and he is in such discomfort. The last time this happened we spent days in the hospital unplugging him. Despite our 3 day strick bowel regime since last November we have once again run into the same situation.

We have been desperate to get things moving for him. Between the full time tube feedings, stool softeners and all the meds we are back to the plugged situation. This is about as descriptive as a person can get as to where things are at. We read about this issue at first diagnosis but never thinking it would happen to us. Well we are now here........can't believe it.....can't believe that I would even do this......but yes, I hand picked everything out that I could so Rick could find relief! What we don't do for love!!!! Just a reminder to everyone...don't ever say..."I would never!" because believe me........I am living everything I have said that I would never do!

We are only hoping now to avoid a trip to the hospital as we live in fear that Rick would never make it back. He is so weak in his body...in his breathing....he is exhausted!

He is a man full of joy and full of high spirits and wants to live! Please do continue to pray for him....that he would continue to live in the peace that passes all understanding.

He asks that I sleep next to him. So I sleep in a brodi chair...kinda a like a lounge chair with wheels...better than a hospital chair but that is about all. I sleep next to him so I can hear him breath and be right there when he wakes up...which is quite a bit. He gets frightened as he sometimes can't use his voice to call any longer at night as his throat dries out so bad. I then am near and give him his meds every 4 hours and a drink or whatever he needs. One of the sweetest things ever is sometimes in one of his middle of the night wake up times he tells me how thankful he is of the way I have taken care of him.

Home care has added another night and Sunday mornings for us. I have two sleep over nights a week now. Because of Rick's disease either I or a family member have to be present to administer the meds every 4 hours even though they may be here for the night. So far Jake and Val, Doreen and Wendal have taken the 2 and 6 am shifts for me for the first sleep overs.

After a very difficult day today with bathroom issues....our little Katie came bouncing in with her new delivered internet purchase...the violin....we were honoured to hear her first practise performance. Rick said it was the best violin playing he has ever heard! We both just cried as it was such a gift of love! It is the effort that counts these days!