Welcome

This blog is about a new walk with my husband Rick & I since he was diagnosed with ALS (Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis) or Lou Gehrig's Disease or MND (Motor Neuron Disease) on February 1, 2008.

This blog was started as a way to keep our family and friends and anyone else interested in our battle with ALS updated.
So as you read this blog please keep us in your hearts and prayers.

The blog starts from the most current to the oldest entry. Rick has started to blog now also as of April 1,2008 so this site has become officially "our blog".

My dearest husband Rick passed away on August 13, 2010,
2 1/2 yrs after diagnosis. Now I have to learn how to walk in the courage, strength and bravery that he did in fighting this disease. He promised me he would be waiting for me in eternity on a park bench. Together Forever!

Sunday, November 21, 2010

Joan here..."Opera, Griefshare & babysitting".

I went to my very first "opera" tonight. I actually enjoyed it! It really helps that they have a reader board translating the latin and so you can follow the story line without much fuss.

My friend and I spent the day doing all kinds. It is so wierd though. I get this feeling like I need to hurry and get back home and then I stop and think..."what for?". That has been one of the strangest things to being on my own. I want to go and tell Rick everything that I saw and experienced like I used to. To think...I could stay up and out all night and who cares! That is so mind boggling for me at this point. This part of my life is unimagineable!

It has been so wonderful to have friends and family who are so supportive of me. I am so thankful for that. Until you go through something like this you will never know how much others can help you through the most difficult time of your life. I just want to make sure I will be there for them down the road as they walk through life.

Losing a spouse is like losing one half of your being. Rick and I were so very close. We talked about the day when he would no longer be here and how I was going to manage without him here. At the time we would both cry...but now I cry and feel the pain.... I was married to an incredible wonderful man.

This week I ventured out and went to a "griefshare" meeting. I ended up meeting two wonderful people, a pastor and his wife. We spent a couple of hours alone together sharing. I felt like I was sitting down with old friends that God had hand picked for this moment. They had had their own humps and bumps along the way and were honest about it. I felt like Rick was smiling and telling me once again..."see Joan...I told you...don't worry..everything is going to be all right!". My few hours spent with these two strangers renewed my faith in the ministry!

I get to look after my little grandson for a few days this next week. I am so looking forward to it. With Rick being so ill I didn't get to spent any time with him when he was first born so this will give me a chance to get to know the little man. Just him and grandma!

Taking one step and one day at a time. 3 months and 8 days.