Welcome

This blog is about a new walk with my husband Rick & I since he was diagnosed with ALS (Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis) or Lou Gehrig's Disease or MND (Motor Neuron Disease) on February 1, 2008.

This blog was started as a way to keep our family and friends and anyone else interested in our battle with ALS updated.
So as you read this blog please keep us in your hearts and prayers.

The blog starts from the most current to the oldest entry. Rick has started to blog now also as of April 1,2008 so this site has become officially "our blog".

My dearest husband Rick passed away on August 13, 2010,
2 1/2 yrs after diagnosis. Now I have to learn how to walk in the courage, strength and bravery that he did in fighting this disease. He promised me he would be waiting for me in eternity on a park bench. Together Forever!

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

"1/11/11" It would have been Rick's 58th Birthday today!

The ones symbolize to me.....this year is a year of firsts!!!! 1/11/11. All these "firsts" for me are coming in absolute bunches...Christmas, New Years, Rick's birthday, 5th month, Valentine's day and on and on and on. They say the "first" year is like that!

This past week I have been very busy with a lot on my plate and yesterday I noticed I have not been myself at all...it is so bad that on my way to a friends house I did an errand and forgot that I was suppose to stop in at her place after the errand. She had been so worried about me as I never showed up. Hey, come to think of it, I haven't been myself for the past three years...

It wasn't till today as I was driving to the cemetery that I realized that the upcoming day of Rick's birthday had been really way more stressful to me than what I had thought.

Yesterday, I went and made a floral spray that I could bring out to Sperling. The flowers were each delibertly chosen. Each colour and quantity. Each flower that I placed together and taped ushered in a flood of memories of Rick and I and what it had meant to us. I know when we do this it is actually for helping US to cope in a tangible way. It allows us to give expression of our grief and love for the loved one who has passed on.....

I am so thankful that Rick's folks have been sharing with me in so many of the "firsts" without Rick. Today, we all went for lunch together. We even went to a place where we all had a memory of having a lunch with Rick not very long ago.

Going to the cemetery today had it's own bag of emotions. Every time I go there I am reminded of how Rick would always walk around the place and tell me stories of all these people that he knew and cherished. I do have a video that I took of him the very last time he could walk going around the cemetery and how I had cried and cried taking it as I knew only to well that he too would be here in just a matter of time. I can't even imagine how he felt knowing that as he walked each step around all the tomb stones. Never mind stopping and looking at his own stone and knowing what was ahead for him shortly.

A child hood friend of Rick's contacted me today. He had intended on stopping there today but had been so consumed in taking care of his own mom. She is so ill so he said had given Rick the thumbs up as he had driven by the cemetery. I know this all sounds so weird but it meant so much to me that others are so thoughtful still of Rick's memory. I have had countless emails and etc acknowledging that today was his birthday. It has meant so much to me that people continue to keep his memory living on.

It was only three years ago today that Rick spent time talking with all the kids about his suspicion that this was ALS. It would only be two weeks later that he actually found out that he in fact had ALS. That is when our life went upside down in a second.

It is only two years ago today that we had the birthday bash with Elvis! Rick was so honored by the family and friends who could make it.

It is now today, and I have had to continually tell myself that Rick is having the best, biggest most unimaginable birthday ever!!!! If I see things that way then all I can be is just happy for him! That is where I have to leave it.........."I am so happy for him that he is no longer suffering!"

Happy Birthday my dearest wonderful husband Ricki from all of us who miss and love you from the core of our beings!!!!!