Welcome

This blog is about a new walk with my husband Rick & I since he was diagnosed with ALS (Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis) or Lou Gehrig's Disease or MND (Motor Neuron Disease) on February 1, 2008.

This blog was started as a way to keep our family and friends and anyone else interested in our battle with ALS updated.
So as you read this blog please keep us in your hearts and prayers.

The blog starts from the most current to the oldest entry. Rick has started to blog now also as of April 1,2008 so this site has become officially "our blog".

My dearest husband Rick passed away on August 13, 2010,
2 1/2 yrs after diagnosis. Now I have to learn how to walk in the courage, strength and bravery that he did in fighting this disease. He promised me he would be waiting for me in eternity on a park bench. Together Forever!

Friday, May 13, 2011

Joan here..."9 Months"

First, I fixed the link for connecting to the ALS fundraising website on the upper right hand side of blog. Don't know what happened there. You can also get to it by http://www.walkforals.ca/ and looking up Team Rick Fewster.

Who would have thought....on the 9 month day of Rick's passing, May 13th Friday I would be in Whitemouth sharing with the students of the Whitemouth School for the 4th Annual ALS Walk kickoff rally!

Jennifer Staerk once again organized the 4th Annual ALS Walk Kickoff where the students are all handed out their sponsorship sheets for the upcoming walk on the May 27th, Friday. She has been one of those behind the scenes dedicated and amazing persons.

My granddaughter Tia put together a wonderful power point presentation on what ALS is all about. Little granddaughter Katie presented her speech to the students that she had written about her Grandpa Rick and his journey with ALS. The passion in which these girls have gone forward in keeping the memory of Grandpa Rick alive and raising funds to find a cure for this horrible disease has been so inspirational!!!! I am so very proud of them!!!

It was one of those really really emotionally difficult times for myself. First time Rick was not there. You got to know he was there in spirit! The students were respectful, warm and receptive. After I talked some they continued with our previous format where the floor was opened to the students asking questions. This is something Rick and I loved when the students would ask questions on any level. Even though we never knew what kind of question we may be asked we always tried to be as open and honest as we possibly could be.

Yesterday, was so different as I stood there in front of these students all alone. I no longer had Rick by my side. We always worked as a team and bounced the answers back and forth from each other to the students. I had moments where I just told myself to suck it up and focus and not break down. Yes, they asked the questions, How did Rick die? Did he talk before he died? Do I still have any of his equipment left? What were his favorite things to do? What was his favorite colour? They also asked some really thoughtful questions about the disease itself. The questions continued for some time. Look out ALS...your days are numbered!!!! This generation is going to do something about you!!!!!!!

I was so pleased in my heart that they were still interested in knowing all about Rick! They haven't forgotten him! I was honoured to be in the midst of this school. Once again Thank you to Jennifer Staerk, all the Whitemouth staff and students for once again opening your hearts to stepping out and raising funds to help find a cure for ALS!!!

I am looking forward to seeing all of you on Friday, May 27th for the ALS Whitemouth Walk!!!!