Welcome

This blog is about a new walk with my husband Rick & I since he was diagnosed with ALS (Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis) or Lou Gehrig's Disease or MND (Motor Neuron Disease) on February 1, 2008.

This blog was started as a way to keep our family and friends and anyone else interested in our battle with ALS updated.
So as you read this blog please keep us in your hearts and prayers.

The blog starts from the most current to the oldest entry. Rick has started to blog now also as of April 1,2008 so this site has become officially "our blog".

My dearest husband Rick passed away on August 13, 2010,
2 1/2 yrs after diagnosis. Now I have to learn how to walk in the courage, strength and bravery that he did in fighting this disease. He promised me he would be waiting for me in eternity on a park bench. Together Forever!

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Joan here..."Prawda/Reynolds School ALS Walk"




Why does everything have to be so emotional and bitter sweet this first year???? Another first. Rick spoke to these same students last year and wooed and awed them with his fancy power chair spins etc. Here I was alone without him this year on the walk. Yes, there were lots of memories and lots of tears!!! Reynolds School in Prawda has been dubbed "The small school with a Big Heart!". Well that is exactly what I experienced today from them!!! Not only in their financial support but in the way they opened their hearts!!!





The Whitemouth School, Reynolds School and Beausejour Schools are going to be the most educated students on the subject of ALS!!!! They have all opened their hearts to us!!!





There were a couple of really special things that happened for me today! First, one of Rick's home care workers, Julie, showed up. It meant so much to me. From the first moment she entered our space (at first it was so difficult to have any help come in, Rick and I felt like we were giving up so much of our personal space and we both resented that) we knew she was quite the gal! She walked in and the first thing she said is the sanitizer bottle I had at the door didn't have enough alcohol % in it for being really effective. That was our intro to Julie!!! Well, we knew after that we had someone who would challenge us to excellence!!! Yes, she was right!!!! The dollar store stuff is okay but not when you are fighting what we were fighting!!!!





It is always so wonderful to me to talk with people who loved Rick. I love to talk and talk about Rick!!! Julie walked with me and we talked. She was there and saw on a day to day basis what this disease was all about. She had previously cared for Louise Lamaga who also had ALS. Julie saw how we had to fight it every day. She saw Rick and I in the trenches!!!! She brought such joy to my heart!!!! We had such wonderful home care workers for Rick. Julie, Carol, Jeannette & Debbie helping me care for my darling husband. It was just sooooo good to see her! I don't know if you ever read this blog Julie but THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart for today!!!





Secondly, A mom and dad from Wpg, a daughter and her three children who recently as November had lost their son, brother, and uncle to ALS. He was only 44 years old, married with children. They showed up at this walk in support of him! They heard about this walk and decided they would drive out and support this little school's walk as it landed on the father's birthday!!!!! Their faith like mine had carried them through this terrible time in their life!





I had the honour and pleasure of meeting this family today. We just had to look at each other and mention that we have lost a loved one to ALS and the bond is immediately there. We understand the loss, the pain and the suffering without having to say a word. The mother took some time and spoke to my inner being with words of wisdom, encouragement and grace! I felt like God himself was encouraging me!





Back to the Reynolds School. We had a cloudy day, but a warm day! Actually, a perfect day to walk. I so enjoy the students, the staff, the openness in which they embrace us all. To all the students who have gone out and pursued sponsors for their school walks I am forever grateful! You ARE making a difference in the lives of those who are fighting this fight with ALS! The money is going to research and equipment for families like myself who needed this expensive equipment. Also, it enables the ALS Society of MB to be such a support to someone who is first diagnosed.





Talking about the ALS Society of MB, I want to thank Diana Rasmussen, Brian Campbell and yes Sharon Carter (who held down the fort) today for coming out and being there once again as a source of support, strength,comfort and for continuing to spread the awareness of this horrific disease. These wonderful people have so many day to day duties to take care of never mind trying to be at each walk and and and and....the list goes on. God Bless these dear people who year after year are there for us!!!! Yes, they get paid but believe me....NOT for the hours and hours of time they put in!!!!!





I just want all of you to know the ALS Society of MB is something to be so proud of!!!!! They have been there for our loved ones, for us and our families. When Rick was first diagnosed he was given a death sentence. The neurologist as wonderful as he was told us he could not help us other than tell us Rick was going to die. Rick contacted the ALS Society of MB. and within a day Diana was at our home talking to us, reaching out to us, giving us hope that we were not alone, she let us know that there was an ALS Clinic, equipment, support meetings. We needed to hear something....our world, our life as we knew it just had just crashed!!!! THANK YOU!





When I will be what I call more "normal" ....I promise you I will do everything to help you folks more in helping with the walks, the fundraising, and and and........



If any of you want to reach out and help fight this ALS......whether it be to give of your time, talents or donate money PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE contact the AL Society of MB and say RICK sent you!!!!!




I haven't shown pics of students once again as we are not allowed to for their safety.