Welcome

This blog is about a new walk with my husband Rick & I since he was diagnosed with ALS (Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis) or Lou Gehrig's Disease or MND (Motor Neuron Disease) on February 1, 2008.

This blog was started as a way to keep our family and friends and anyone else interested in our battle with ALS updated.
So as you read this blog please keep us in your hearts and prayers.

The blog starts from the most current to the oldest entry. Rick has started to blog now also as of April 1,2008 so this site has become officially "our blog".

My dearest husband Rick passed away on August 13, 2010,
2 1/2 yrs after diagnosis. Now I have to learn how to walk in the courage, strength and bravery that he did in fighting this disease. He promised me he would be waiting for me in eternity on a park bench. Together Forever!

Saturday, March 22, 2008

Joan here...A Night Away!

We were given a night and dinner away by one of our nieces. We couldn't believe how thoughtful she was. We ended up being given an upgraded room with walk in glass shower, plasma T.V., individually controlled mattress, duvets and etc. We figured out that we were the first ones to ever sleep in this room. As it was just renovated. Oh, yeah---the view of the city was awesome! Stayed on the 26th floor. It was so nice to get away from looking at the house and what still needs doing as we get it ready for sale.

On our way home, we stopped at a very nice bistro for lunch. Went to the bathroom...yeah..I know too much detail!!! All of a sudden, I found myself thinking of how Rick and I would be able to manage such an outing down the road once he would be in a wheel chair. It is amazing how our minds work! I have to start adjusting my thinking to all kinds of things. Something so basic as going to the bathroom could be a real achievement for us down the road. He will be needing help....does that mean I take him to the woman's or the men's washroom? Interesting trying to figure some of the little stuff before needed but I have to allow myself to go there in my thinking no matter how silly or painful it can be! I guess alot of this is coming to terms with what is ahead for us. Shock and denial are slowly fading and having to face things is slowly becoming a reality.