Welcome

This blog is about a new walk with my husband Rick & I since he was diagnosed with ALS (Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis) or Lou Gehrig's Disease or MND (Motor Neuron Disease) on February 1, 2008.

This blog was started as a way to keep our family and friends and anyone else interested in our battle with ALS updated.
So as you read this blog please keep us in your hearts and prayers.

The blog starts from the most current to the oldest entry. Rick has started to blog now also as of April 1,2008 so this site has become officially "our blog".

My dearest husband Rick passed away on August 13, 2010,
2 1/2 yrs after diagnosis. Now I have to learn how to walk in the courage, strength and bravery that he did in fighting this disease. He promised me he would be waiting for me in eternity on a park bench. Together Forever!

Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Joan here...Started Taking Lithium Carbonate today.

Rick's GP wrote out a prescription for his Lithium treatment today. We are really hoping it will slow down or stop the progression of the symptoms he is experiencing. Because it is such a new approach to ALS no one has the long lasting proof of this really working. Every ALS person is a test bunny when taking this.

Rick asked his GP if he has ever treated an ALS patient before. He said "No, you are my first one.", and Rick said "Well, I have never had ALS before either. So, I guess we will learn together!" His GP told him to bring in the Handicap Permit Application and he would fill it out for him. He has been such an awesome GP!!!

Rick has not been experiencing any side effects from the Rilutek he has been taking todate. We are very encouraged by that.

We have had some really sad days though! And on the brighter side have had some really wonderful days!!! People have been so kind to us. I have been adjusting to having to do more and more on my own. Rick just doesn't have the ability to help me with the packing and getting the house ready for sale. I feel so helpless as I don't have much upper arm strength myself and I am so dependent on others helping us. Very humbling! I know this is just the begininng of it all. That makes me sad.

Yesterday morning Rick had a very difficult time as he was heading out the door. He stopped and turned around and told me that! So, I told him that neither he or I could change how he was feeling and that only God can help us now. This whole ALS thing is way bigger than both of us that is for sure. We both held each other and prayed. In my mind's eye I saw a pair of wings flying upwards carrying something. I prayed according to seeing the wings lifting what I believe was our cares from us for the day. Rick called back later on that morning and said he was having one of the best days he has had for awhile. We both thanked God for his faithfulness and for anwering our prayer.