Welcome

This blog is about a new walk with my husband Rick & I since he was diagnosed with ALS (Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis) or Lou Gehrig's Disease or MND (Motor Neuron Disease) on February 1, 2008.

This blog was started as a way to keep our family and friends and anyone else interested in our battle with ALS updated.
So as you read this blog please keep us in your hearts and prayers.

The blog starts from the most current to the oldest entry. Rick has started to blog now also as of April 1,2008 so this site has become officially "our blog".

My dearest husband Rick passed away on August 13, 2010,
2 1/2 yrs after diagnosis. Now I have to learn how to walk in the courage, strength and bravery that he did in fighting this disease. He promised me he would be waiting for me in eternity on a park bench. Together Forever!

Friday, June 13, 2008

Joan here...

Rick has mentioned once again that he is not doing well. Every time he tells me that I brace myself for what is coming up next. He is so tired all the time. We have been trying to get a bit of low key time in this week. I walked into the kitchen tonight only to find him leaning on the kitchen counter with one hand holding himself up. He was trying to make a snack with the other hand. I asked him what was wrong.

He said that he can feel his back muscles are getting weaker and so he can't bend over and hold himself up with out holding on to something for support. He has to either be standing straight or laying down. So when he shaves he has to stand straight and not lean over the sink. He said his stomach muscles are going and all of a sudden he has this pot belly hanging there. I keep telling him now he knows how us ladies feel. lol

I have to keep an eye on him as he is very very cleaver at trying to do things in such a way that no one notices how he has to struggle to do things. He always tries to walk behind everyone so no one sees him walking. He doesn't want to eat soup now in front of anyone.

Rick and I would have loved to be able to help his folks with their upcoming move. It would be impossible physically for him. It is very painful for him to come to terms with that.

No matter what we are so very grateful for each new day that we have together. God is still good!!!