Welcome

This blog is about a new walk with my husband Rick & I since he was diagnosed with ALS (Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis) or Lou Gehrig's Disease or MND (Motor Neuron Disease) on February 1, 2008.

This blog was started as a way to keep our family and friends and anyone else interested in our battle with ALS updated.
So as you read this blog please keep us in your hearts and prayers.

The blog starts from the most current to the oldest entry. Rick has started to blog now also as of April 1,2008 so this site has become officially "our blog".

My dearest husband Rick passed away on August 13, 2010,
2 1/2 yrs after diagnosis. Now I have to learn how to walk in the courage, strength and bravery that he did in fighting this disease. He promised me he would be waiting for me in eternity on a park bench. Together Forever!

Monday, June 2, 2008

Joan here....Off we go Ho Ho Ho!

Rick and I woke up this morning to the sun streaming in through our bedroom window. What a beautiful glorious day to head out on our trip! As we sat in bed having our morning coffee and talking (our usual). I noticed that Rick was opening and closing one of his hands and staring at it a lot. I asked him if his hands were giving him trouble. He said that he noticed that his left hand was "different" lately. We have noticed that both his hands do shake now a lot but this was something still different.

Tears began to stream down my face at that point. I can't imagine how Rick felt. Just plain sadness thinking where this will be leading soon. There is a saying..."you can run but you can't hide". Rick told me that he is so very happy and thankful that I am here by his side. We are just so happy we have each other. I relish each word he speaks and try to lock it in my memory so as to never forget! We both know we have one "h" of a ride ahead of us!

Rick mentioned that the thought of our plane crashing used to be a horrifying thought but on this morning it didn't seem such a bad thought anymore---except for the other poor folks on the plane that is! So with stiff upper lips we proceeded to discuss our trip knowing only full well that we need to enjoy every moment while we have it!

Fear of Packing...hmm...if anyone has this phobia you will know exactly the anguish that I am going through to get our "stuff" packed. I have packed so far 2 large , 1 medium, and one carry on suitcase. All of which are closed by standing on the suitcases to zip them up! We are only gone for 6 days with 2 of them travelling. Yikes!!! Rick just laughs.

Rick doesn't say a word about how I can't decide what to pack...hot clothes, cool clothes, and shoes...oh yeah....lots of shoes!!! His solution to my dilemma is very simple and easy to fix. He says "Joan, don't worry about it, it's okay, just get another suitcase". The joke is on me though these days. He used to be the one to lug these things all around. Guess who is doing that now??? I thought about that as I packed and ended up actually putting some clothes back into the closet. That put some real perspective into the packing.

It will be our first trip with Rick and I and "Ineeda". Tia informed us that the "Ineeda" actually stood for "I need a cure for ALS", not "I need a million dollars" as I previously had written. For those of you who don't know, the grandgirls named Rick's wheelchair "Ineeda" and his cane "Max".

Some more reality hit this morning as I began to lug the suitcases to the door, hmm, 3 heavy suitcase, heavy carry on, a wheelchair and cane. Our travelling has definitely taken on a different look and feel. It is hard to describe what goes on internally during one of these moments. Looking at the pile of luggage standing at the door right now, I sure hope the cab that takes us to the airport comes with a very very big trunk!