Welcome

This blog is about a new walk with my husband Rick & I since he was diagnosed with ALS (Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis) or Lou Gehrig's Disease or MND (Motor Neuron Disease) on February 1, 2008.

This blog was started as a way to keep our family and friends and anyone else interested in our battle with ALS updated.
So as you read this blog please keep us in your hearts and prayers.

The blog starts from the most current to the oldest entry. Rick has started to blog now also as of April 1,2008 so this site has become officially "our blog".

My dearest husband Rick passed away on August 13, 2010,
2 1/2 yrs after diagnosis. Now I have to learn how to walk in the courage, strength and bravery that he did in fighting this disease. He promised me he would be waiting for me in eternity on a park bench. Together Forever!

Saturday, June 7, 2008

Joan here...Whew! Good to be home!

We have met some very wonderful and compassionate people on our trip. Despite the cloudy cool weather we had a really great time.

We drove down from Kelowna to Oliver with my sister and brother-in-law and toured some great wineries. We had a lot of laughs! They even got to share the "raspberry beer" that Rick loves so much! And to our amazement they had a live jazz band playing that night which made it even more fun!!! Rick said it broke his heart that we could not get up and dance the night away like we used to!

I'm not sure how we would have made it back to the airport on our own though without the help of our thoughtful and kind sister and brother-in-law. They took it upon themselves to help us out of the hotel and to the airport with all our "stuff". You can be very very sure that this girl will be learning how to travel very light in the future! There is no way I could have managed without their help!

We lucked out and had a lay over in Edmonton. This is where my nephew and his new bride met us for lunch at the airport. We were so thrilled to meet her!!! What a wonderful couple they are. They are starting out their new life together filled with so many dreams. Rick and I are so very happy for them!!!

Rick and I met some very wonderful people on the plane and in Kelowna. So, hi Jay, Judy and Helen. It was a delight to meet you! Everyone has their own story in life!

When we finally made it back up to our apartment tonight with all the "stuff", I realized we were laughing a lot again! I felt like we were back...not just back home but back to a happier place in our beings. I think we needed a break much more than we really knew!!!

If you get a chance read the book "I am Hutterite" by Mary-ann Kirkby. It is a true story about a girl who left the colony. It is a very well written book. The writer herself grew up in a colony just outside Portage, MB. We picked up our copy at the Virgin bookstore at the Wpg. Airport. Chapter also sells it.

Another good read "Stolen Innocence": My Story of Growing Up in a Polygamous Sect, Becoming a Teenage Bride, and Breaking Free of Warren Jeffs. Chapter also sells it.