Welcome

This blog is about a new walk with my husband Rick & I since he was diagnosed with ALS (Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis) or Lou Gehrig's Disease or MND (Motor Neuron Disease) on February 1, 2008.

This blog was started as a way to keep our family and friends and anyone else interested in our battle with ALS updated.
So as you read this blog please keep us in your hearts and prayers.

The blog starts from the most current to the oldest entry. Rick has started to blog now also as of April 1,2008 so this site has become officially "our blog".

My dearest husband Rick passed away on August 13, 2010,
2 1/2 yrs after diagnosis. Now I have to learn how to walk in the courage, strength and bravery that he did in fighting this disease. He promised me he would be waiting for me in eternity on a park bench. Together Forever!

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Joan here..."Rick is sleeping January away!"




While I type this Rick is sound asleep. This morning's routine has been very hard on him. We have been trying to adhere to the three day bowel regime that is now in place. He spends more and more time on the bipap. We are heading into Wpg on Sunday and will be back Wednesday for a stint at the ALS Clinic for another assessment and the Health Science Centre "communication dept" for some more communication assistive equipment.

Just the thought of having to pack everything up and even to remember everything he will need for the three day excursion is so very stressful for me. The ride into Wpg in itself will be a real stressful time for Rick. Physcially it is very hard for him to bounce around in the vehichle. He has not been out of the house since the beginning of December. Emotionally, is another thing, just for him to have to deal with his helplessness physcially and to now be presented with more equipment that will be necessary for him. Staring the tiger in the eye once again!

Rick is aware that it is time to get some equipment in place to ensure that he can communicate as long as he can with us all. As I have mentioned before I am presently his "voice activated" equipment when it comes to typing. He really struggles just to scribble a crude look a like of his signature. We are nearing his two year date from diagnosis and that in itself is another date to deal with.

I have become the official urinal and enema Queen. I even get to aim and wipe for him. Not a job that I ever thought I would be adding to my portfolio. :)

I was going through a lot of pics last night and enjoying the memories of them. I put together a file of misc pics on our screen saver so Rick could take a glance at them during the course of the day. We both enjoy reliving our special moments together!

One of my many many favorites that I have is the pic of Rick and I dancing together. It jogs many memories of he and I dancing together alone in our apartment, house, backyard, down town TO on one of the busiest street corners and yes even one day he grabbed my hand and started dancing with me in the middle of St. Vital Shopping Centre! It was so romantic and Rick was never one bit shy in doing this...that always amazed me!
It is so interesting and fascinating how just one picture can evoke so many delicious memories! I have coated my heart with those precious memories and moments. Now back to this moment, my reality, where I will go and take care of a hundred little things to make Rick's life just a bit more comfortable for him if possible. Today is a new day with it's own special memories that I will cherish forever!