Welcome

This blog is about a new walk with my husband Rick & I since he was diagnosed with ALS (Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis) or Lou Gehrig's Disease or MND (Motor Neuron Disease) on February 1, 2008.

This blog was started as a way to keep our family and friends and anyone else interested in our battle with ALS updated.
So as you read this blog please keep us in your hearts and prayers.

The blog starts from the most current to the oldest entry. Rick has started to blog now also as of April 1,2008 so this site has become officially "our blog".

My dearest husband Rick passed away on August 13, 2010,
2 1/2 yrs after diagnosis. Now I have to learn how to walk in the courage, strength and bravery that he did in fighting this disease. He promised me he would be waiting for me in eternity on a park bench. Together Forever!

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Rick and Joan here..."Sip and Puff"

A couple of years ago if someone told me I would have a "sip and puff", I would have thought it meant a cold beer and a good cigar!!! Little did I know this would later mean in my life....

My wheelchair is being set up in a couple of weeks with a "sip and puff" system that will allow me to drive by blowing or sucking a straw type tube in front of me. Thank God for technology and people driven to help others in need!!!! Wow!!! Thanks to the gang at the HSC Engineering Rehab Dept. for brain storming and coming up with solutions to my hands not being able to operate my wheelchair or tv remote, etc.

They will also be setting up a sip and puff system to enable me to raise and lower my hospital bed, change tv channels, operate the phone and call for help!

The other big thing is that I got to test a head mouse along with a voice activated software that will make it possible for me to be able to communicate when I can no longer type and speak.

It looks pretty cool but will be no where near as efficient as my current system...lol (Joan typing while I speak)!
Thanks to the gang at the HSC Engineering Rehab Dept. for brain storming and coming up with solutions to my hands not being able to operate my wheelchair or tv remote, etc.

Who would have thought that our own province has such wonderful and amazing people in places. From the ALS Society, the ALS clinic at the Deer Lodge Hopsital , Health Science Centre, Home care, Palliative Care, Engineering and Rehab, Whitemouth Handi Transit, and on and on.

Special thanks to our friend Doug at www.tripwiremedia.com who came and filmed and document this journey once again!