Welcome

This blog is about a new walk with my husband Rick & I since he was diagnosed with ALS (Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis) or Lou Gehrig's Disease or MND (Motor Neuron Disease) on February 1, 2008.

This blog was started as a way to keep our family and friends and anyone else interested in our battle with ALS updated.
So as you read this blog please keep us in your hearts and prayers.

The blog starts from the most current to the oldest entry. Rick has started to blog now also as of April 1,2008 so this site has become officially "our blog".

My dearest husband Rick passed away on August 13, 2010,
2 1/2 yrs after diagnosis. Now I have to learn how to walk in the courage, strength and bravery that he did in fighting this disease. He promised me he would be waiting for me in eternity on a park bench. Together Forever!

Monday, October 11, 2010

Joan here..."Thanksgiving Day without Rick"

Really if you think about it Thanksgiving Day should be every day....always being thankful.....that is easy to do when things are all going good...but it sure is another thing when they are not....that is where the rubber meets the road....when I thought about the upcoming Thanksgiving Day I wondered how I could even really be truly thankful this year. As I allowed myself to even think about it further this is what came to mind...

First of all this Thanksgiving I am so thankful that my husband Rick no longer has to lay there paralysed from his neck down and that his spirit is free to soar with the angels on high!

I am so thankful for the wonderful, loving and fun almost 14 years that Rick and I shared together.

I am thankful for all the wonderful memories I have of my dear husband Rick.

This is my first Thanksgiving without Rick and I have been remembering all the different times and things he enjoyed. He especially loved turkey and would always make this super duper dressing using a variety of fresh herbs from our garden. He would also add almonds to give it a bit of a crunch. We used to cook together all the time. We loved working side by side in the kitchen always inventing new dishes together.

I am Thankful for the time I got to spend at the cemetery today basking in the beautiful warm sunshine. I have lots of memories of Rick and I going there over the years and walking around and looking at all the people he knew who had passed and he would tell me all the stories about each one of them. The last time we were there it was so emotional as he could barely walk even with using (Max) the cane. It was one of the very last times he ever walked. I filmed him as he walked and talked. That footage is so precious to me now. When I was there today I was full of all those cherished memories.

I am thankful for all our children, grandchildren, family and friends near and far, the friends I have now all across the world, all the professionals of every kind who have so kindly been there for Rick and I these past years and for all the people who surrounded us in prayer when we were hanging on by a thread.

I am thankful for all the people who dared to open up their hearts and lives and blog so that when Rick and I started on this journey we could read them and be encouraged or informed. It helped us so much at the time. We spent hours desperately searching to find people we could identify with who were going through or had gone through this walk. That is why I have chosen to continue to blog even after Rick's passing. If in any small way someone who has lost a spouse or is going to lose a spouse to a terminal disease can find some comfort or insight in reading this blog it has been worth it all!

I am thankful for my health. After going through the last 2 1/2 years taking care of Rick it has given me first hand experience at seeing how precious our health really is. We should not take it for granted. I am still amazed that in those years both Rick and I never got sick! Not even a cold!

I am thankful that Rick and I withstood the hurricane winds of daily challenges pounding against us through the disease of ALS. We did not allow this disease to destroy our faith in God or our love for each other. Rick and I were a team and we faced everything together. We both learned to walk each day trusting that God's grace would be sufficient for the day. If we would try and go beyond a day in our thinking we would just become overwhelmed by it all. It is the same grace that keeps me now...God's grace is sufficient for me and I keep bringing my thoughts back to that one hour at a time...one day at a time....

I am so thankful I have had -
...an earthly father who loved, accepted and forgave me totally.
...an earthly husband who loved, accepted and forgave me totally!!!
I am so thankful that we ALL HAVE an Heavenly father who LOVES, ACCEPTS and FORGIVES us totally!!!

Wow!!! For all that and much much more I am so thankful for on this Thanksgiving Day!

Have a great Thanksgiving Day!