Welcome

This blog is about a new walk with my husband Rick & I since he was diagnosed with ALS (Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis) or Lou Gehrig's Disease or MND (Motor Neuron Disease) on February 1, 2008.

This blog was started as a way to keep our family and friends and anyone else interested in our battle with ALS updated.
So as you read this blog please keep us in your hearts and prayers.

The blog starts from the most current to the oldest entry. Rick has started to blog now also as of April 1,2008 so this site has become officially "our blog".

My dearest husband Rick passed away on August 13, 2010,
2 1/2 yrs after diagnosis. Now I have to learn how to walk in the courage, strength and bravery that he did in fighting this disease. He promised me he would be waiting for me in eternity on a park bench. Together Forever!

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Rick and Joan here.....Friday is coming!!!

On Sunday we were invited for a absolutely wonderful time back to our former home for a delicious meal, drinks and most of all the terrific hosts! We were very apprehensive about returning to our former home not knowing how we would deal with it all emotionally. To our wonder and amazement we walked in to the house and found it not ours! We felt so comfortable and welcomed. We truly are so grateful for the way Dave and Sheila have treated us through this transition. They have been gracious, sensitive and caring beyond belief!

When Rick and I walked around the yard pointing out the various plants etc. we think it was actually harder then going through the house. Probably being, the house was so different with their things in it but right now the yard is exactly the same. It is weird how we respond to familiar things! They seem to trigger so many memories!

Friday is soon coming!

We will be meeting Lorraine Forester and her family for the first time at the ALS walk in honour of her mom. We really look forward to it.

Also, we look forward to seeing all of you at our first ALS walk in Whitemouth as difficult as it will be emotionally due to the circumstances!!! Thank you to all who have so generously supported the walk and to those who will be able to make it to Whitemouth. Looks like we will have a sunny day if the weather person isn't telling lies! :)

Joan has had more practice handling the wheelchair now so we trust there will be no casualties, either me or innocent bystanders! :) I have discovered that these new fangeled shoes called "crocks" have really helped me to keep lighter on my feet. They are light and comfortable and don't tire me out so much as regular shoes. Joan and I have matching black ones now! :) The grand kids are suggesting neon colours though I think (you know what) will freeze over before I succumb to neon coloured shoes!!!

My folks are unable to attend due to their own health issues right now. We understand that those of you that can't make it in person are there in spirit. Thank you to all of you!

Will update when we return from good old Whitemouth.