Welcome

This blog is about a new walk with my husband Rick & I since he was diagnosed with ALS (Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis) or Lou Gehrig's Disease or MND (Motor Neuron Disease) on February 1, 2008.

This blog was started as a way to keep our family and friends and anyone else interested in our battle with ALS updated.
So as you read this blog please keep us in your hearts and prayers.

The blog starts from the most current to the oldest entry. Rick has started to blog now also as of April 1,2008 so this site has become officially "our blog".

My dearest husband Rick passed away on August 13, 2010,
2 1/2 yrs after diagnosis. Now I have to learn how to walk in the courage, strength and bravery that he did in fighting this disease. He promised me he would be waiting for me in eternity on a park bench. Together Forever!

Saturday, May 17, 2008

Rick here...Some moments

Life is made up of moments. Here are a couple...

I was making my way in from the underground parking in the apartment we have rented for a couple of months. I was using my cane and struggling a bit as the doors are heavy and cumbersome now. Quick as a flash, a little old lady (and I do mean little and I do mean old) bounded up and said "Here, let me get that for you!" :) I kept a straight face and was thankful but as I carried on the reality of the whole thing hit me. Very weird! Life has sure changed!!!
As I tell Joan though...it won't be too long and these will be the "good old days". Agghhh!

Joan and I made our second excursion down to the library through Portage Place with the wheelchair. She is getting pretty expert at this. I never screamed once this time! LOL
We have a system worked out where I hit the wheel chair door opening buttons with my cane then she wheels us through. I think we are getting faster.

Everyone needs to be in a wheel chair for a day. You sure get a different perspective on what a lot of people have to deal with day by day. Humanity seems to fall into two main categories. Jerks and nice folks. This trip we had the nice ones. The library people actually looked and talked to me as a person. The waitress where we stopped for a beer and a snack did also. I think my faith in the general humanity of people may be on the rise again.

I have been very touched by the number of old friends from across the country who have tracked me down since this started. Many I have not seen for 20 or even 30 years! Yikes!!!
Thank you all so much!