Welcome

This blog is about a new walk with my husband Rick & I since he was diagnosed with ALS (Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis) or Lou Gehrig's Disease or MND (Motor Neuron Disease) on February 1, 2008.

This blog was started as a way to keep our family and friends and anyone else interested in our battle with ALS updated.
So as you read this blog please keep us in your hearts and prayers.

The blog starts from the most current to the oldest entry. Rick has started to blog now also as of April 1,2008 so this site has become officially "our blog".

My dearest husband Rick passed away on August 13, 2010,
2 1/2 yrs after diagnosis. Now I have to learn how to walk in the courage, strength and bravery that he did in fighting this disease. He promised me he would be waiting for me in eternity on a park bench. Together Forever!

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Joan here..."Everyone asks how am I doing?"

Well, how am I really, really doing? That is what people have asked me from time to time. I am not sure if you really want to know the answer. Please don't read further if you really don't want to know.

First of all, I am so very grateful that we have a place to live in...please understand that! Our kids have been most gracious and kind. It is not about them. It is just about me! I take the full blame of everything.

I went from a 4 bedroom home and a 4 bedroom bath to a place that is not my own. I now live in a space that I don't have a kitchen sink. I DO have a sink with water in a utility closet (which I am eternally grateful for) but no drain. When I do my dishes, or Rick brushes his teeth, or I wash the floor, or I have the "honey bucket" to empty I climb up a step ladder to get rid of the excess stuff. I keep asking myself...am I being so selfish or unkind or demanding to want more than that?

At times I find it all so all overwhelming! I am a few years away from 60 and I climb a step ladder to empty my dish water and "honey bucket". Do I feel sorry for myself...yep...lately I really do! I honestly don't know of too many women in my life who would do that every day for 8 months. I slipped yesterday on the lift and had what they call an "awha moment" (I am a slow learner) but thankfully am okay.

My emotional state of mind is not too good right now. I do cry a lot!

People parish because they have NO vision in life. That is how I am feeling right now.

Rick is concerned if I write things down and tell people how I really feel....it will upset too many people. I said " I don't care...this is how I am feeling!: He says..."well giver er then" and spins away in his wheel chair. He doesn't like to rock anyones boat what so ever!!!

All my life I am concerned at offending people, hurting people, or denying my own person at the expense of protecting others. So some of you can really really hate me or you will really really try to understand that I am not trying to be hurtful...I cannot believe that this is happening in our life. I wake up each day taking care of my husband and by the time I have a chance to even shower or comb my hair it is 1:00 in the afternoon. For every pound he has lost I have gained 10 I am sure! You women out there know what I am talking about!

I am trying to balance being nice and kind to being really honest about how I am feeling and doing right now. I do feel the pressure of just being "nice" and let the water run off my back! Unfortunately for me I have always said how I feel even if people can't handle it.

The reason I write this down is because people often say ....why didn't you say something! Well...I am right now....