Welcome

This blog is about a new walk with my husband Rick & I since he was diagnosed with ALS (Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis) or Lou Gehrig's Disease or MND (Motor Neuron Disease) on February 1, 2008.

This blog was started as a way to keep our family and friends and anyone else interested in our battle with ALS updated.
So as you read this blog please keep us in your hearts and prayers.

The blog starts from the most current to the oldest entry. Rick has started to blog now also as of April 1,2008 so this site has become officially "our blog".

My dearest husband Rick passed away on August 13, 2010,
2 1/2 yrs after diagnosis. Now I have to learn how to walk in the courage, strength and bravery that he did in fighting this disease. He promised me he would be waiting for me in eternity on a park bench. Together Forever!

Friday, May 15, 2009

Rick and Joan here..." Okay...Okay...we just couldn't wait to share Tia's speech today!"


A quick note....Rick...nor I...nor Tia's parents knew that she was going to address the student assembly with over 400 present! Quite a way to start your public speaking career. She told us afterwards that she was just shaking! It didn't show. We were all so shocked and crying at the time we asked her for the written copy of her speech to let it all sink in. Once again...we all can make a difference in people's lives no matter how young or old we are....Here it is....

ALS Speech…. By Tia

Is everyone in your house healthy? When you get sick does your cold or flu go away?
I am Tia K. and I know first hand about a sickness that does not go away.
My grandparents are Rick and Joan and my grandpa has ALS.

Last year my grandpa and grandma moved into our house. When grandpa moved in he was walking with a cane. We made a bedroom upstairs for them and we got a special elevator to take him up and down.

Our garage got turned into a suite for my grandparents. It is very nice having my grandparents around. I get to visit them whenever I want. They come to my school to see my band and Christmas concerts. We made a special bathroom so grandpa wouldn’t have to step so high to get into a bathtub. The sink is built so his wheelchair will fit underneath it. There is a drain in the middle of the floor because there is no edges on the shower stall.

Grandpa has trouble walking so he has a wheelchair named Max. He can drive it to get the mail. Now he can even go to the grocery store. I like it that the store made a ramp so we can go on shopping errands together.

My grandpa can’t get into a normal vehicle anymore. They bought “the beast” for driving to appointments and farther trips. It is a big grey van that has a lift for hoisting grandpa and his wheelchair. It is like driving a bus. Grandpa can stay in his wheelchair and it locks into place. If you ever see them driving in town…make sure you wave!

My grandpa can’t sleep in a regular bed anymore because it is to hard to move over. He has a hospital bed with a trapeze over top so he can pull himself over. When grandpa can’t move himself anymore we have a Hoyer lift for moving him. It is like a crane for lifting him. My grandpa may have more trouble doing things soon. The ALS Society has a lot of equipment that can make things easier for him and us.

ALS affects everyone, not just the one who has it. My grandma works really hard to make things easier for grandpa. My dad did an amazing job changing our house for them. My mom usually cooks so that grandma and grandpa can do other fun stuff. My sister and I try to visit to check up on them. Many other family members help out in ways to numerous to mention. Without the help of family and friends things would be a lot harder for grandpa.

Lets give the helpers a round of applause…and an applause for the brave heart himself…Rick!

You are walking to help other people have easier lives and to raise money for research to cure this horrible disease. For this I want to thank you!