Welcome

This blog is about a new walk with my husband Rick & I since he was diagnosed with ALS (Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis) or Lou Gehrig's Disease or MND (Motor Neuron Disease) on February 1, 2008.

This blog was started as a way to keep our family and friends and anyone else interested in our battle with ALS updated.
So as you read this blog please keep us in your hearts and prayers.

The blog starts from the most current to the oldest entry. Rick has started to blog now also as of April 1,2008 so this site has become officially "our blog".

My dearest husband Rick passed away on August 13, 2010,
2 1/2 yrs after diagnosis. Now I have to learn how to walk in the courage, strength and bravery that he did in fighting this disease. He promised me he would be waiting for me in eternity on a park bench. Together Forever!

Saturday, May 30, 2009

Joan here again..."A major melt down!"

I definitely had a major melt down this past week! Anger, tears and lots of feeling sorry for myself! The realization of more losses can be overwhelming at times. Rick is withdrawing and it is so very frightening to me. We are at a spot right now that is very emotional and physical all at the same time. Rick can barely sit up on his own. Sitting in the wheelchair he looks pretty okay. He always "talks the talk" and "sits and smiles". We do try and snuggle in the hospital bed as much as we can. At night he wakes me up a couple times a night so I can push his back up so he can sit up and take a whiz.

We are at the place where it won't be long that this will not work. I spent the day shopping and looking for deals on men's night disposable underwear and some specialty pants that snap up the back. I think of all the things so far that I have experienced ( I know there is much more coming) but this has been a hard one. I know this is hard for him also but as a wife and lover to him this has it's own challenges! I don't even want to type this but I have determined to be honest right from the start so that is why I have even written this.

On the bright side, we actually got our passports this week! I had mine years ago when I went to Mexico with my daughter on missions but Rick has never had his. I really wanted him to have a passport just for the sake of him having had one. Where are we going? No idea! But hey...we did it! We got our passports! Rick cannot actually stay in a motel as his needs are too numerous. So it will have to be a day trip...so I will guess...Grand Forks here we come!

So for all of you lovers out there...while you can....snuggle, hug, touch and kiss all you can and while you can!