Welcome

This blog is about a new walk with my husband Rick & I since he was diagnosed with ALS (Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis) or Lou Gehrig's Disease or MND (Motor Neuron Disease) on February 1, 2008.

This blog was started as a way to keep our family and friends and anyone else interested in our battle with ALS updated.
So as you read this blog please keep us in your hearts and prayers.

The blog starts from the most current to the oldest entry. Rick has started to blog now also as of April 1,2008 so this site has become officially "our blog".

My dearest husband Rick passed away on August 13, 2010,
2 1/2 yrs after diagnosis. Now I have to learn how to walk in the courage, strength and bravery that he did in fighting this disease. He promised me he would be waiting for me in eternity on a park bench. Together Forever!

Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Joan here...One of those moments...

Rick woke up to one of his reoccurring dreams of sitting in a motorized wheelchair. Not being able to hold up his own head or speak. He was sitting there in the chair with a straw thing in his mouth to tap on the key board. He said it was so real and so terrifying! We sat together having our morning coffee and just talked and talked. This evening all of a sudden he disappeared. After awhile I called out to him but he didn't answer. I remembered that I heard a door close earlier so I decided to go and check and see if he was okay.

I am getting more edgy about him and stairs these days. So, I opened the door from the kitchen into the garage and here he was...sitting in his wheel chair trying to steer it around. It caught me so off guard. I just stopped and looked at him and then asked if he was okay. He said he just never really took any time to sit in it before and steer it around. My heart just sank to see him sitting in it and driving it around the garage...but I understood. I took a deep breath and looked at him and said "Hey, I have never really sat in one of these either before. Let me see if I can even steer it" Now that was a sight. I steered that chair like I drive....bumping things as I drove all over the place. We both started laughing!

Rick and I want to both blog on here. So he is building himself up to start soon.