Welcome

This blog is about a new walk with my husband Rick & I since he was diagnosed with ALS (Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis) or Lou Gehrig's Disease or MND (Motor Neuron Disease) on February 1, 2008.

This blog was started as a way to keep our family and friends and anyone else interested in our battle with ALS updated.
So as you read this blog please keep us in your hearts and prayers.

The blog starts from the most current to the oldest entry. Rick has started to blog now also as of April 1,2008 so this site has become officially "our blog".

My dearest husband Rick passed away on August 13, 2010,
2 1/2 yrs after diagnosis. Now I have to learn how to walk in the courage, strength and bravery that he did in fighting this disease. He promised me he would be waiting for me in eternity on a park bench. Together Forever!

Thursday, April 3, 2008

Joan here...Excited about the ALS Walk on Friday,May 23rd, 2008

We are so thrilled at the way the support for this walk has been coming in. Everyone is working so hard to get the word out about it. It is the very first ALS event that I think any of us have participated in at least I know for Rick and I for sure. Hey, we didn't even really know what ALS really was. We heard about Lou Gehrig's disease but that was for a famous baseball guy years ago not for anyone in our family.

And here we are right now, every day staring it right in the face! We can't run or hide from it. Everytime Rick falls, everytime he tries to climb the stairs, everytime he tries to get up from a chair, from the toilet, out of bed, getting his pants on in the morning. Yep, it is right here!

We just don't want to ever ever ever have anyone else go through this in their life! So if by going on walks and taking pledges, getting donations is going to help to get rid of this thing...we are all walking or whatever it takes!

It is so sad to come to realize that Rick and I always haved loved going on walks together and here we are going to go on this walk and he won't be able to do it on his own two feet! I can't even imagine how he feels inside knowing he will have to be pushed in a wheel chair! As I write this I am so devastated and I can hardly type for the tears! This is all a very bad dream no it is the worst nightmare I have ever had!

Tonight he told me that he can feel that his legs have taken another turn. He can feel that they are even more weaker than before. He goes to bed exhausted every night. I can not believe how ALS affects the body by always keeping his muscles moving day and night and he never gets rest even while he sleeps. As the muscles die other muscles kick in and try to do the work of the atrophied muscles. As a result simple things become a huge effort and Rick is tired from doing even basic things.

I can't let my mind wander to what is ahead or I will freak out! Rick says it feels like his mind is trying to think three things at once...which we all know is impossible...but that is how out of control he feels right now. Thoughts going in all directions as we can't even imagine. This I know....he wants to live a long and a full life! And that is what we all want for him also. I am so glad that both Rick and I know we are not alone!