Welcome

This blog is about a new walk with my husband Rick & I since he was diagnosed with ALS (Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis) or Lou Gehrig's Disease or MND (Motor Neuron Disease) on February 1, 2008.

This blog was started as a way to keep our family and friends and anyone else interested in our battle with ALS updated.
So as you read this blog please keep us in your hearts and prayers.

The blog starts from the most current to the oldest entry. Rick has started to blog now also as of April 1,2008 so this site has become officially "our blog".

My dearest husband Rick passed away on August 13, 2010,
2 1/2 yrs after diagnosis. Now I have to learn how to walk in the courage, strength and bravery that he did in fighting this disease. He promised me he would be waiting for me in eternity on a park bench. Together Forever!

Monday, April 7, 2008

Rick here......AAAAGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

AAAGGGGHHHHH was the sound I made as Joan took me for my first outside ride in the new wheelchair! We decided we needed to get this thing figured out before it is the only way I can get around. What a riot! ( Actually...Joan says she was worried about going on the ALS walk and not sure about how to push me in the chair)

I had an emotional and kind of tough day...hmmmm...wait a minute...they are all like that!

Anyhow...we decided to go for my first trip outside the confines of the garage so we got all set up and off we went. Jokingly I told Joan...I'm not going to tie up in the seatbelt...GOOD THING!

We hit the bottom of the driveway under speed...a 6" drop...no big thing if you hit it staight on....a hell of a deal if you hit it at an angle!!! Guess how we did it???? Barely missed sitting in 8" of water :)

I came flying out of the chair...Joan screaming " I'm sooooo sorry....I told you I'd be no good at this " and both of us hoping the neighbors weren't watching....( I still have some pride left)

We both crumpled over laughing ourselves crazy!!!!! Boy..did I need that laughing time!!!!

It even gets better....as we came around the far end of the bay I said..."Hey Hon...I'll try doing this myself "....at the time we we were going full speed. Obedient wife that she is ...she let me go....oops....wound up on the curb and into the next guys lawn...looked like one of those old 'Laugh - In' episodes where the guy kept crashing his tricycle...resulted in more uncontolled laughter!!!! I am sure it made a big impression on the 12 year old kid that was walking by on the way home from school!!! Hope we don't have the cops at the door tonite investigating ' cripple abuse'!!!

Anyhow....a big thank you to Craig who has sent us a large supply of food supplements ....Thank You!!!!!

Also much thanks to all who are fundraising and donating to the ALS walk in May. Joan has done a couple of updates on the site so it may be offline for a day or so. Just found out that there has been a gracious donation of hats for 'Team Rick' on the walk...thanks!!! My sister Marsha says "we will have the most strollers on our team for sure!!!!!!!!!!" Guess thats what happens when you have 8 grandkids and one on the way!!!!

If you are planning to join us on the walk please let Kyla know so we can have hats and T-shirts for you...email her at biosciencebaby@hotmail.com

Rick