Welcome

This blog is about a new walk with my husband Rick & I since he was diagnosed with ALS (Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis) or Lou Gehrig's Disease or MND (Motor Neuron Disease) on February 1, 2008.

This blog was started as a way to keep our family and friends and anyone else interested in our battle with ALS updated.
So as you read this blog please keep us in your hearts and prayers.

The blog starts from the most current to the oldest entry. Rick has started to blog now also as of April 1,2008 so this site has become officially "our blog".

My dearest husband Rick passed away on August 13, 2010,
2 1/2 yrs after diagnosis. Now I have to learn how to walk in the courage, strength and bravery that he did in fighting this disease. He promised me he would be waiting for me in eternity on a park bench. Together Forever!

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Joan here...with two empty sheds!

It has been a few days since I have written anything because I am very busy with packing...mostly throwing out and sorting "stuff"!

Rick and I have been trying to squeeze in a few rides in between everything. It has been so beautiful outside. One of our favorite things to do is to go on long rides and talk and talk and talk. Every time we drive somewhere on the highway he always says how much he loves the prairies! He checks out the fields as we drive. He spent a lot of time driving equipment on the fields on their farm growing up. We have been going up and down to Whitemouth and even got in a drive to Portage La Prairie in on the weekend.

Some of our children and nephew came on Saturday to help us move. I have been finding it a bit stressful with having to make the decisions on the spot where and what goes here and there.

We spent some time with the grand kids in the middle of the outside move. It was so beautiful and warm outside. Rick and I are drinking in every moment we can sit in the backyard.

I looked out our kitchen window the other day and there he was sitting on the bench in front of the fountain. I could see him looking all over the yard from flower bed to flower bed. He then started crying. I went out and put my arms around him and sat on the bench with him. I asked him what was making him so sad at that moment. He said that every where he looked it is so full of memories. Memories of how we picked out that special plant together. How we decided where we were going to put it. How each tree and bush and plant held so many memories for him. So, we both just sat and held each other and cried. We both agreed though that it was the right time that we leave here as he can feel his body getting weaker each day.

His hands are shaking a lot and we discovered that he can't hold soup in a plastic spoon to eat. We have been using paper plates and plastic cutlery lately to make life simpler. So I have to be more attentive in making sure he has a larger metal spoon. Little things that remind us of how this disease is progressing. It was heart breaking for Rick to discover that. Eventually he will not be able to eat by himself so this is the first step towards that end. I told him that I would take care of him and make sure that I would feed him and if he was really lucky I would even play airplane! He looked at me and we both burst out laughing! Humor is like medicine to the soul!