Welcome

This blog is about a new walk with my husband Rick & I since he was diagnosed with ALS (Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis) or Lou Gehrig's Disease or MND (Motor Neuron Disease) on February 1, 2008.

This blog was started as a way to keep our family and friends and anyone else interested in our battle with ALS updated.
So as you read this blog please keep us in your hearts and prayers.

The blog starts from the most current to the oldest entry. Rick has started to blog now also as of April 1,2008 so this site has become officially "our blog".

My dearest husband Rick passed away on August 13, 2010,
2 1/2 yrs after diagnosis. Now I have to learn how to walk in the courage, strength and bravery that he did in fighting this disease. He promised me he would be waiting for me in eternity on a park bench. Together Forever!

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Rick here...just plain talking!

Joan is doing a fantastic job in saying much of what is going on in our lives!

Every day has its own challenges. This disease is like a slippery slide...nothing seems to happen real fast yet its progress is inexorable, never stopping. You really notice the change when you go to do something normal that you haven't done for awhile and find that you can't anymore. It is getting so anything physical at all is very very hard. My body is tired all the time. It in plain words really pisses me off!!! Thank God for family and friends who have come along side to help us with everything. We have such wonderful support!

I find myself incredibly emotional at times. Emotional swings can be a symptom of ALS. I am not sure if this is the case or if it is just a natural reaction to what I am facing, the things I will miss, etc. I find myself not being able to concentrate on one thing very long. My mind jumps all over the place. Probably a result of stress! Mind you...long periods of intense concentration have never been my strong point! lol

Anyways, enjoy your day, hug those you love and laugh a lot! That is what I will be doing!