Welcome

This blog is about a new walk with my husband Rick & I since he was diagnosed with ALS (Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis) or Lou Gehrig's Disease or MND (Motor Neuron Disease) on February 1, 2008.

This blog was started as a way to keep our family and friends and anyone else interested in our battle with ALS updated.
So as you read this blog please keep us in your hearts and prayers.

The blog starts from the most current to the oldest entry. Rick has started to blog now also as of April 1,2008 so this site has become officially "our blog".

My dearest husband Rick passed away on August 13, 2010,
2 1/2 yrs after diagnosis. Now I have to learn how to walk in the courage, strength and bravery that he did in fighting this disease. He promised me he would be waiting for me in eternity on a park bench. Together Forever!

Sunday, April 27, 2008

Joan here..How the "same old" brings security.

We have a guest room in our home that our grandchildren have dubbed "the princess room". I can't even remember how and when that even all started. Rick and I have always enjoyed the excitement on their faces when they announce that they want to go up to "the princess room" and watch their videos and eat their popcorn. The grand kids have been doing this since each of them were very small. The room consists of a king bed, microwave, tv, bar fridge, fireplace and their own bathroom. Rick and I have always got such a kick out of seeing their little wee bodies laying on this huge bed with their very own large bowl of popcorn tucked in beside them watching their videos!

Earlier last week I went around marking the wall coverings, furniture etc. in the house that were to be moved with green tape. Well, when one of our little grand girls came over and discovered all the green tape on the furniture in the house she was horrified! She knew there was change coming but did not like to see the green tape all over. Then when she finally announced that she wanted to go up to "the princess room" to watch her video my heart broke! I knew that the room was no longer the same as she always knew it to be!

When we got upstairs she discovered the mattress from the king bed was gone and only the frame was standing. Green tape was hanging everywhere and most of the smaller furniture was gone. She surveyed the room and informed me of each thing that was missing. I suggested we make a little spot for her at the foot of the bed seeing the mattress was gone. No way would she hear of that! She had to be in the middle of the bed like she always did when she came over. I ended up taking the small padded bench chair and putting it inside of the bed frame with pillows and blankets so she could sit there and watch her videos like she always did!

She then said to me "Grandma I love this princess room!" and I said "I know you do and I do too". She then proceeded to watch her video for awhile and then said "Grandma, I know that the little girl that is moving here in "the princess room" will LOVE this room!" By then our little 2 year old grandson joined us in the room and piped up and said "Grandma we need our popcorn!". I started to laugh. Nothing would deter these grand kids from having their tradition when they came to grandma's house. As much as there has been and will be change for Rick and I there is also much change for our little grand kids.

I write this knowing tomorrow the kids are coming to help us move. Rick is fast asleep right now. He told me today that his legs are really giving him trouble. Our life, as we have known it, here in this home will be over. We will be starting a new chapter in our life. This probably sounds funny but Rick and I went through the house room by room tonight. We reminisced over everything. I finished packing today and our master bedroom is now completely empty except for the two large bath towels that I kept back so we could have our last bath in our big tub! So here was Rick and I sitting in our tub in a completely empty room! Tomorrow morning we plan to have our last shower together in our big shower. These are some of the pleasures that we have always enjoyed and looked so forward to!