Welcome

This blog is about a new walk with my husband Rick & I since he was diagnosed with ALS (Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis) or Lou Gehrig's Disease or MND (Motor Neuron Disease) on February 1, 2008.

This blog was started as a way to keep our family and friends and anyone else interested in our battle with ALS updated.
So as you read this blog please keep us in your hearts and prayers.

The blog starts from the most current to the oldest entry. Rick has started to blog now also as of April 1,2008 so this site has become officially "our blog".

My dearest husband Rick passed away on August 13, 2010,
2 1/2 yrs after diagnosis. Now I have to learn how to walk in the courage, strength and bravery that he did in fighting this disease. He promised me he would be waiting for me in eternity on a park bench. Together Forever!

Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Hey- Rick here!

Well...I have jumped into blogging. Joan has done a fantastic job of getting this set up and letting you all know how things are going. She has finally nudged me over the edge and here I am :)

I have not come to terms with any of this. Trying though. I have been living in a cloud for two months now to the day. As I was diagnosed on Feb. 1, 2008.
As you can imagine - this has been a real kick in the guts for us! All my grandparents lived into their 90's, Mom and Dad are going strong and I always thought that if I was careful crossing the street I had a pretty good shot at a long, long life!

I have determined to be frank about the reality of what we are going through in hopes that down the line it will help someone. Joan and I have read alot of fluff and we really just want to be down right frank and open.

I have been accused of being an eternal optomist (and I guess I am) but I intend to try and be very honest about this walk that we are on with out candy coating anything. It is so important that people understand what ALS is and what it does.

I also want to leave a record of my thoughts and feelings and experiences as we travel down this road. As the old saying goes ' nothing clarifies your thinking like knowing that you are going to be shot at dawn!'

First, above all else...it must be clear where I stand with God in this. My theology is fairly simple....good things come from God...bad things don't!!! The only place that God's perfect will is done is in heaven and there is no sickness, pain or poverty there!!! That is why Jesus said...pray that his will be done on earth as it is in heaven!!
Heaven is real! But so is our life down here. I believe in healing but I also know that healing does not always come.

Reminds me of a joke....an angel appears to a man and says...I have good news and bad...what do you want first? The guy says...give me the good news first. The angel says...well...the good news is you are going to heaven - the bad news is that you are going now!!!

That is kind of how I feel. I know where I am going...the incredible pain is about leaving your loved ones behind and of having to face what will probably be a pretty nasty way to go.

Anyhow.....now that I have started blogging the floodgates will open, I am sure.
Rick