Welcome

This blog is about a new walk with my husband Rick & I since he was diagnosed with ALS (Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis) or Lou Gehrig's Disease or MND (Motor Neuron Disease) on February 1, 2008.

This blog was started as a way to keep our family and friends and anyone else interested in our battle with ALS updated.
So as you read this blog please keep us in your hearts and prayers.

The blog starts from the most current to the oldest entry. Rick has started to blog now also as of April 1,2008 so this site has become officially "our blog".

My dearest husband Rick passed away on August 13, 2010,
2 1/2 yrs after diagnosis. Now I have to learn how to walk in the courage, strength and bravery that he did in fighting this disease. He promised me he would be waiting for me in eternity on a park bench. Together Forever!

Friday, October 9, 2009

Joan here...."A very stressful week"

We have had a busy week. Home Care is coming in for a couple of hours every morning. They are absolutely terrific people! It is just so stressful to have strangers in our space and it is so difficult for me to hand over some of my duties to them. It is like giving your baby over to a stranger!!! I feel like I am abandoning Rick for some strange reason. It is like it should be ME doing everything not a stranger. There is so much guilt to deal with!!!!

It really hit me the other morning when the home care lady shaved Rick...NO NO NO!!! Rick and I always had a Saturday morning thing going where I would razor shave him and he would paint my toe nails and he would bring me coffee and we would spend a leisurely time together. We did that for years together and now....

I know in my head I have to let go but my heart just is having a hard time! It makes me feel like I am such a failure and abandoning him when I don't take care of all his personal needs.

One of the other hardest things was to show a home care worker how I go about showering my husband. I can't even describe how it was for me to do that. Just picture this....
Rick, me and a home care worker in the bathroom together. A private and intimate time usually between just Rick and I! Rick and I always showered together! I had such a hard time with it all. I rolled him in the commode chair into the shower...and quickly flung the towel off of him and threw a wash cloth over the special parts!! :) as if they really cared!!! but Rick and I did. Rick is a very private person. I just so wanted to preserve his dignity or better yet his privacy...but all in all...we came naked into this world and we are heading out that way when all is said and done...just not so soon...we all want to be old and senile when this is happening.

We have had two different home care workers in this week and two new ones next week. So each time there is a new one I go over the routine with them. It is very emotionally stressful!

Rick and I can't begin to even express how wonderful everyone has been with us. They are trying to be so sensitive and caring to both of us!!!! We are so incredibly thankful and grateful. The adjustment is on our part.

We found out today 2 things....

1. We are going to be filmed based on "a day in the life of an ALS person" for a documentary on Wednesday this coming week. So we are going to be film stars!!! lol!!!

2. Rick is going into the Health Science Centre Friday to be fitted for his Bipap machine.

Today, was an unusually difficult day emotionally for myself. I was so full of anger about everything.

I am so thankful that my family decided to bring Thanksgiving to our place as Rick can't get into anyone's home. My family has been so incredibly sensitive that way. They are each bringing a dish so I don't have to cook. That allows us not to be left out of the family gatherings.