Welcome

This blog is about a new walk with my husband Rick & I since he was diagnosed with ALS (Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis) or Lou Gehrig's Disease or MND (Motor Neuron Disease) on February 1, 2008.

This blog was started as a way to keep our family and friends and anyone else interested in our battle with ALS updated.
So as you read this blog please keep us in your hearts and prayers.

The blog starts from the most current to the oldest entry. Rick has started to blog now also as of April 1,2008 so this site has become officially "our blog".

My dearest husband Rick passed away on August 13, 2010,
2 1/2 yrs after diagnosis. Now I have to learn how to walk in the courage, strength and bravery that he did in fighting this disease. He promised me he would be waiting for me in eternity on a park bench. Together Forever!

Saturday, October 3, 2009

Rick here..."You know you trust someone when..."

Okay- it was one of those moments. Mom and Dad were over for the weekend to look after me for a couple of days and give Joan a much needed rest. Mom and Dad are quite a team. They hoyer me, dress me, feed me and empty my urinal bottle! Which leads me to the story.

As my hands and arms have gotten weaker the dreaded day finally came. I was sitting in my wheelchair and had to pee badly! (might have had something to do with the fact dad and I had a couple of beverages! lol) Anyways, to accomplish this routine bodily function it is necessary for me to hold the bottle in one hand, pull the elastic waistband of my track pants down with the other while somehow aiming accurately and shooting slightly uphill...sounds easy...till you try it!

On this particular occasion my arms were too weak and far gone to pull it off! Time was of the essence and I knew I would never make the deadline if I took the time to get hoyered out etc. When I realized my dreaded predicament I hollered for Dad to come and help. Within seconds we decided the only solution was for him to run for a pair of scissors and cut the front of my pants open.

Now, you have to picture this...two grown men, one in a wheelchair squirming from pressure, this nearly 80 year old man, wielding a pair of large scissors while trying to cut open the front of the crotch of my pants---both of us laughing uncontrollably. Mom sitting there staring out the window trying to keep a straight face and not quite sure what these two maniacs were up to!

Mission was accomplished successfully...I told dad "You know you trust someone when you let them loose with a big pair of scissors aimed at your crotch!"

All in all, we made another memory! Thanks dad you saved me again!!!

ps I am now using specialty wheelchair designed pants that allow quick access without a pair of scissors! lol Remember kids...safety first!!!!