Welcome

This blog is about a new walk with my husband Rick & I since he was diagnosed with ALS (Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis) or Lou Gehrig's Disease or MND (Motor Neuron Disease) on February 1, 2008.

This blog was started as a way to keep our family and friends and anyone else interested in our battle with ALS updated.
So as you read this blog please keep us in your hearts and prayers.

The blog starts from the most current to the oldest entry. Rick has started to blog now also as of April 1,2008 so this site has become officially "our blog".

My dearest husband Rick passed away on August 13, 2010,
2 1/2 yrs after diagnosis. Now I have to learn how to walk in the courage, strength and bravery that he did in fighting this disease. He promised me he would be waiting for me in eternity on a park bench. Together Forever!

Friday, October 16, 2009

Joan here..."Rick's new nighttime look!"


Well it is done...Rick's is officially fitted for a bi-pap machine!
Another piece of equipment for me to master!!! oh yeah!! and clean!!!
Today, was not a good day for me at all. I have come to realize that every time there is a piece of equipment added to our daily routine I first get so angry about it. I know it means helping Rick to have an easier time but for me it just means more work somehow! Another loss of sorts!
I am ready for an ALS break about right now! Sleeping at the ALS hospice is always a challenge for us. It is a great help and service to us ALSers but it is also physiologically challenging for us. It is a face front reminder of what is down the road.

Karen was so awesome today in showing me how the equipment works. I am so truly amazed at the wonderful people that are out there helping us. It is not their fault that I have to do some personal adjusting each time.

As I write this Rick is bi-paping!!! lol...he really had a hard time to let me hook him up to it tonight as he knows how hard it was for me just to even bring another piece of equipment back! Never mind how he looks in it!

I was so encouraged tonight that his bro and parents called to see how it went today...it was sooooo stressful on all fronts!!!!