Welcome

This blog is about a new walk with my husband Rick & I since he was diagnosed with ALS (Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis) or Lou Gehrig's Disease or MND (Motor Neuron Disease) on February 1, 2008.

This blog was started as a way to keep our family and friends and anyone else interested in our battle with ALS updated.
So as you read this blog please keep us in your hearts and prayers.

The blog starts from the most current to the oldest entry. Rick has started to blog now also as of April 1,2008 so this site has become officially "our blog".

My dearest husband Rick passed away on August 13, 2010,
2 1/2 yrs after diagnosis. Now I have to learn how to walk in the courage, strength and bravery that he did in fighting this disease. He promised me he would be waiting for me in eternity on a park bench. Together Forever!

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Rick and Joan here..."A nice surprise and retro fitting pants"

Rick and I were so pleasantly surprised today once again by the kindness we have received!
A good friend of ours, Mike, had mentioned he would deliver some 2x4's for our much needed wood stands for the winter. We arrived home to not only find the wood here but he had gone ahead and cut and assembled the racks for us. Wow!!!!!!

It might seem a small thing to some but it sure is not when you are in a position like ours! It brought tears to both our eyes!!! There is hardly a day that goes by where we do not experience an unexpected kindness from someone. Thanks Mike!!!

Rick needed some more open back pants and some wheel chair pads. I bought the first two pair of open backed pants from Golden Wear in Wpg. http://www.goldenwearclothing.com/ I decided this time around I would just try and retro fit some of his old pants!!! I borrowed Val's sewing machine as mine is in storage somewhere in never never land! I took out the back ends out of some of his pants and made him some pretty snazzy wheel chair compatible seatless trousers!!!!

For the uninitiated ....if you can't move and you spend your day in the wheelchair you need pants that can slide on from the front and then just tucked in around you. Less material to cause wrinkling and abrasion on the backside. The other huge advantage is that the person does not have to be lifted up to get dressed.